Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need some help confirmation please ... — Parallax Forums

Need some help confirmation please ...

ElvisElvis Posts: 8
edited 2005-04-14 02:02 in BASIC Stamp
I posted a few days ago regarding powering a very large servo through the STAMP and got very good advice (thanks Jonb and allanlane5). I was able to plug the BOE bot continuous rotation servo into a separate power supply and still send signals to the servo. My question is whether this plan will work "safely". Here it is. I have a servo that requires 6V and I have a 6 cell, 6V NiMH battery(1100mAh). If I use the same exact setup that I tested the smaller servo on (which was only on a 3V supply) will I be in any danger of damaging the microcontroller? The power supply will go to the servo and the grounds will be common. If anyone sees any potential red flags please let me know. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question and thanks for any input.

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-13 20:56
    Well, I'm a little surprised your 3-volt servo had no problem with the 5-volt 'pulse' the BS2 used to control it -- but I guess the servo is used to that sort of thing.

Your new setup (Servo Power, BS2 Power, common ground) should work fine.
  • ElvisElvis Posts: 8
    edited 2005-04-14 02:02
    The servo was the same one that came with the BOE bot, I only had a 3V external source available that I could test.· Thanks again for the help.