Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question about COM port wiring on custom board for a BS2p — Parallax Forums

Question about COM port wiring on custom board for a BS2p

ddbcretinddbcretin Posts: 6
edited 2005-04-12 15:19 in BASIC Stamp
Hello again. cool.gif

I've wired a small protoboard for a BS2p that I'm using to control some heater and time events. The variables for the events are set using a VB GUI. With your help I got the comm issues worked out between VB and the Stamp. Thanks again for that. Everything worked well on the benchtop board when I used your Demo Board. However, when I tried the board I wired I have issues communicating between the PC and the Stamp. Size constraints prevent me from using a stock board in the delivered unit.

I'm using pin 16 to communicate with the Stamp. I wired the COM port according to the book directions (and I've checked it repeatedly). I can recognize the Stamp with your editor and can program it. The program runs normally, except that I can't communicate with a PC. Close examination of the Demo Board shows me that C2 anc possibly C3 play a roll in the COM port. There is a connection to the ATN pin. I suspect this is my problem. As the board appears to be multi-layer I can't follow all the traces. Can you point me to a more detailed wiring diagram of the Demo Board's COM port? Also, can you tell me the values of C2 and C3 (and any other required components). Thanks. smile.gif

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-12 14:53
    Hello,

·· The schematic for the connections to the communications port is listed on page 26 of the current BASIC Stamp Manual, a free download from our website if you don't have a copy.· It shows the values of the 2 capacitors.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • ddbcretinddbcretin Posts: 6
    edited 2005-04-12 15:19
    That was it! smilewinkgrin.gif

Thanks again.