Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax customer feedback requested: project box / enclosure — Parallax Forums

Parallax customer feedback requested: project box / enclosure

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2005-04-14 07:42 in BASIC Stamp
Dear Customers,

A while back we designed a project box enclosure. Around our office this project was received with minimal enthusiasm (of course·this concept·was my idea). Jon Williams says I take criticism like water flowing off of·a duck's back, so I followed through with my great idea and got a few prototypes. Now I am showing them to you to determine your interest, which will help us to decide whether or not to make a few hundred.

Our customers·frequently ask for project boxes, but they're never happy with what's available because·a solution·isn't NEMA, not water-resistant, it's too big, too small, etc. It seems that no box is ideal for·a project. But sometimes all it takes is a bit of time with a drill press and file to change somebody's mind and make the "not so perfect box" a more ideal solution to the problem. Especially when they're attempting to make an LCD cutout.

Here·are the details about the Parallax enclosure:
  • Mounting holes fit all of our 3" x 4" Parallax boards
  • Additional accessories (AppMods) and other circuits fit within the box
  • Uses strain relief connectors for access to power, RJ11/RJ45, and a DB-9 extension from the side of the box to the Parallax board
  • Two top options available: 1) plain; 2) LCD cutout with five·1/4" button holes····
  • Metal insert screw-tabs for securing the lid to the box

The design is very economical to manufacture - four edges folded up with tabs bent over. Edges are not sealed and the box is not water resistant. Material is AL 5052 .063".·The box·can be painted, anodized, powder coated, etc.

We wouldn't pretend to make a profit selling project boxes. They'd be sold·slightly above·our cost, which would be something between $8 and $20 depending on how·we package the solution. For example, we could offer the box, two lid options·and a small pack of strain-reliefs. This way you can only buy what you need. If we proceed I will add mounting holes for the SX Tech Board, since our SX/B·compiler is being widely utilized.

Pictures are below.

Okay, the duck awaits your comments!

Ken Gracey
Parallax, Inc.
642 x 635 - 118K
662 x 611 - 124K
1024 x 768 - 252K
1024 x 768 - 331K
1024 x 768 - 294K

Comments

• Robert KubichekRobert Kubichek Posts: 343
    edited 2005-04-11 22:06
    I could use a few of both!

yeah.gif

Bob
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-04-11 22:21
    Ken -

Unless it's an optical illusion, it doesn't look like you'd be able to slip a 9 volt battery in Project Box Number 5. I certainly hope I'm wrong since the boxes look real nicely layed out, and quite custom-made.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-04-11 22:27
    Bruce,

You can use a 9v battery connector that has two leads and plug them into Vin and Vss.· There is plenty of room for the battery to fit on the side of the BOE.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • CPUMANCPUMAN Posts: 55
    edited 2005-04-11 22:39
    Yah I could·use a couple of both as well.

Chris
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-04-11 23:17
    Great idea, Ken!· I'll be your first customer when they are available.· How about four little rubber feet for the bottom?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    NEW! 4 MB EEPROM

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/page4.html
    ·
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-04-11 23:39
    Will 4 AA batteries fit ?
    Is the fan optional ?
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video Display Module" Available Now.

www.sxvm.com

"A problem well defined, is a problem·half solved."
    ·
  • FloydFloyd Posts: 2
    edited 2005-04-11 23:44
    Nice idea.

"...and a DB-9 extension from the side of the box to the Parallax board"

How about USB?

Floyd
  • Ben DamonBen Damon Posts: 42
    edited 2005-04-12 00:45
    looks cool! would there be like a little pocket some where for the batties? Cause I preffer to use AA's

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ben Damon

And may God Bless America!
  • Fred S.Fred S. Posts: 4
    edited 2005-04-12 01:08
    Well, if you're going to go this far why not include an optional power supply fitted to the interior of the box. Just to keep all neet and tidy?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-12 01:35
    ·· Okay, let's see if I can answer all the questions...First of all, on the 9V battery thing...Yes you can use the 9V Battery snap, but there's also two holes with strain-relief available for Wall-Wart power cord.··Sid, there are 4 little rubber feet on the bottom already.· Ben, you could drill s amll hole in the side and mount an AA battery compartment right inside if you wish.

·· These are really well designed for people who want to make small projects and not have to mill every little hole and cut-out.· Plus they simply look cool!· Anymore questions?· smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-04-12 01:40
    Thanks Chris,
    Maybe I missed it, but what are the dimensions ?
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video Display Module" Available Now.

www.sxvm.com

"A problem well defined, is a problem·half solved."
    ·
    edited 2005-04-12 01:43
    Bean,

·· You can sort of get an idea by looking at the BOE mounted inside for comparison, but I will measure it tomorrow at Parallax and post the dimensions here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Richard FurnissRichard Furniss Posts: 4
    edited 2005-04-12 02:06
    I love it, can I get two by next weekend?
  • kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2005-04-12 11:33
    Well Ken,

The reason for the lack of enthusiasm around the office is probably because its a box!· Its not anything real cool like a new stamp or new sensor.· I'll be honest with its a very nice project enclosure and I would buy a few myself... You got to put your cool new sensor and stamp into something to make it rugged and professional looking right?!

good job Ken!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-04-12 12:21
    I like it....
    Any chance of a hermetically sealed one?! Maybe even a submersible one?
    Maybe have "add-on kits" to modify a 'generic' box (similar to the one posted).

Someguys operated outdoors and some at depth in water.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-12 13:25
    What an excellent idea. I got into Stamps in a big way when a competitor to Parallax offered a small plastic box with a really nice prototyping board, with a small kit of parts that would take a BS2 and make a very nice package out of it. I wanted to get into these small processors earlier, but without a professional looking delivery enclosure I couldn't do it.

I foresee lots of little aluminum "bricks" popping up everywhere, as soon as you finalize your design and start selling it. Having a naked BOE in a project just screams "amateur", no matter how clever the coding.

A couple of suggestions (you knew that was coming, right?)

1. Have a couple of heights -- one for just a BOE with a few circuits in the prototyping area. A nice 3" x 4" x 1.5" high (or 2" high) 'flat pack' enclosure would look nicer than the full 'brick' you've shown. But the full 'brick' would allow a few app-mods to be stacked, so would also have application.

2. It would be nice to have a prototyping version of the BOE board -- one without the plastic 'bread-board', but with a 'sea-of-holes'. Perhaps the 'sea of holes' could have the same connectivity as the bread-board.· In fact, a new breadboard with the same dimensions but with minimal circuitry (BS2 socket, DB-9, 5.5/2.1 power, couple of caps, LM2940-5 regulator, a row of I/O breakout pads, power LED with resistor) would allow a larger 'sea-of-holes' prototyping area.

3. The only scale element in the picture is the BOE -- you might include a quarter in the picture so newbies get a better idea. I suspect the box is 'cuter' than its apparent dimensions make it seem.

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 4/12/2005 1:31:12 PM GMT
  • bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2005-04-12 13:28
    Imagine using it for a robot frame. Screw a servo inside on two sides for drive wheels.

Here's an example:

http://www.robotics.com/robomenu/tether.html
  • GlenGlen Posts: 13
    edited 2005-04-12 13:48
    Ken: Very nice design. Very professional. Please do not try to satisfy everyone.

Camel= horse designed by commitee.

Please keep those good ideas coming

Glen
    edited 2005-04-12 14:31
    ·· For those who asked about the dimensions.· The box is 5-1/2" L X 3-5/8" W X 3-1/4" H (Including feet and lid).· The inside dimensions are 5-5/16" L X 3-1/2" W X 3" H.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • hutdonhutdon Posts: 32
    edited 2005-04-12 14:49
    Ken, greatest idea since sliced bread. Your a genius! (now can I have a couple of freebees?) Seriously, I'm sure I would order a couple just to put away until someone asked for a project with a deadline of yesterday. Maybe I'd use one tomorrow or maybe it would set for a year, but I'd definately order a couple.
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-04-12 15:12
    Nice...clean...I'll take a couple....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-04-13 20:24
    I would like to see an option of having the DB9 hole NOT included-

I like Power LEDs next to connectors-

The boxes look great, I would like to see the fan as an option also.

How about anodized colors? [noparse];)[/noparse]

I would buy some.

Ryan
  • RovRov Posts: 5
    edited 2005-04-13 20:40
    all four sides of the box hinged would be nice too, so you could get back in to work on it. if not hinges then screw on sides, this would also save on production costs as it wouldn't have to be assembled by the manufacturer. biggest plus is ease of working on, testing, or modifying the project once it's in the box.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ***************************· Any Ideas?· ****************************************

using a keyboard and a PAK 6 to geneerate decimal characters sent via serout to a second stamp on the underwater robot, it receives and interprets the keystroke from the pak 6 and sends a command to a pak 5 motor control chip to send pwm at the appropriate duty cycle and for the correct motor.· There are 3 trolling motors and the motor controllers are Diverse Electronic MC-7's.·

One of the motors has clear magnetism, the other two do not, whats that all about?· I can get one motor to work, the other two appear to be being "braked" as the armature resists turning.· The motor controllers do have breaking but I am not turning it on.·· The 3 motors have the expected red and black power wires but also have a yellow and blue wire, any ideas on their purpose?

This project was interrupted some years ago, but I·am ready to go again.
    ********************************······· ******************************************
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-04-13 22:06
    Ken, one of the responders to the Project Box thing had a good point, concerning accessibility to the interior of the box.· Suppose you made the box with a bottom, top side, bottom side and right side, all properly folded into position.· Then suppose you made the lid and the left side in one piece, folded like an "L".· Now with the lid and left side removed you have excellent accessibility to the interior.· Screw tabs would be on the bottom left side, folded up, and on the top right side, folded horizontally.

Just a suggestion.

Sid
  • StarManStarMan Posts: 306
    edited 2005-04-13 23:18
    I usually make my own specialty hardware and boxes (mostly modify off-the shelf boxes), but I would pick up a couple just to have in the cabinet for that special application whenever it may arise.

BTW I typically like to use the cast aluminum boxes.· They are very easy to machine and they·provide a good head start to a nice finished look.
  • danieldaniel Posts: 231
    edited 2005-04-14 01:51
    Any chance of seeing a photo of the bottom of the enclosure?

Daniel
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2005-04-14 07:42
    It may save you some trouble if you can make the box with " knockout" holes, like for the lcd, db9, etc. I am pretty sure this can be done with aluminum with a stamping process, but i could be wrong. It would give the user the option of removing the knockout holes for a certain design, for plugs, connectors, or whatever else is desired. If not, the box is still sealed, and doesn't really affect the overall appearance a whole lot. And you only have to offer one version, instead of two.

kelvin