Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 and x10 hardware — Parallax Forums

BS2 and x10 hardware

djweldishofedjweldishofe Posts: 1
edited 2005-04-12 19:36 in BASIC Stamp
I am working with the BS2 and the x10 Two-Way Power Line Interface (TW523).· I know that Parallax has a code called XOUT that is used to send signals to different appliance modules using the TW523.· I am trying to use an EagleEye motion sensor, and I want to use the TW523 to receive a signal from the motion sensor (if possible) and then in turn turn on an appliance module or lamp module to alert that something has tripped the
motion sensor.

Are there any code functions that are similar to the XOUT command that enable the BS2 to input signals from other devices, or does this experiment require a higher level of programming.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-11 17:58
    Hello,

·· While there is no equivalent command to do what you want, I believe there is a device available that does bi-directional communication and is serial controlled.· So you could SERIN/SEROUT to it.· I think it's called, "Firecracker" or something to that effect.· I believe you can get it right from X10.com.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-11 20:41
    Sorry, the "Firecracker" does single-direction only (from the BS2 to the house wiring).

There is another X10 interface that uses real RS-232, however, and the BS2 should be able to connect to it. It will send a set of bytes to the BS2 whenever any command is sent on the power-lines -- by X10 switch or X10 monitor. You would use SERIN/SEROUT to communicate with this unit -- I think it's called a 'home-controller'.

OK, found it: http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_ck11a.htm

This is their 'standard' home automation product for $50.· For $100 you can get an additional package.· The house wiring interface is their CK11 -- which has an RS232 output.·

Apparently, they have a new HomeControl Pro system, using a CM15 -- which is USB based.· Your BS2 can easily do RS232 -- it cannot do USB.· Go for the link above.

P.S. Still searching -- there does exist the 'PowerLinc' -- http://www.smarthome.com/1132b.html

P.P.S Aha!· I found the CM11 -- which is the RS-232 based bi-directional unit: http://www.smarthome.com/1140.html· -- And THIS page even includes documentation and serial protocol!

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 4/11/2005 9:04:05 PM GMT
  • norris56norris56 Posts: 69
    edited 2005-04-11 21:59
    I've used the Smarthome PowerLinc on several PC-based projects with great success. It supports both RS-232 and TW523 protocols. They also have a great X10 microcontroller-based tester called a TestLinc that is based on it. You will also find that the documentation and support from them is organized and complete.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-11 23:15
    ·· I mentioned the Firecracker because back on the Yahoo Group I and someone else had inquired about getting data from X10 and the Firecracker was mentioned.· I never actually pursued getting one because of the PC interface and wireless connection to the transceiver.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-12 13:39
    Yes, I got a 'firecracker' to evaluate. Really cool little device -- uses RTS and DTR to recieve signals (and power for the firecracker) from the controlling device (either PC or BS2) and then sends RF to a companion device plugged in to the wall. The companion device then uses the power-wiring to send the X10 signals.

Very robust, very simple. But it is uni-directional -- 'Send' from the Bs2 through the Firecracker to the house modules only.

For bi-directional use, the CM11 looks to be the easiest and most straightforward for a BS2 to work with. "ActiveHome" 'standard' unit is the CM11 -- the 'Pro' unit, CM15, is USB based, and so can't interface with a BS2.
  • Harry StonerHarry Stoner Posts: 54
    edited 2005-04-12 19:36
    The firecracker unit is CM17 I think and the bi-directional part CM11. To crudely trigger a BS2 from an Eagle Eye motion sensor, I simply had it trigger an X10 switch to turn on wall power which in turn powered up my breadboard with BS2 on it. The BS2 then initialized and took action. As I said, very crude and of limited application, but if you have an X10 switch device (lamp controller or appliance controller) you can at least get something happening with 5 minutes of set up and not have to do any evil 120VAC wiring.

X10 is fun.

Harry