Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Serial To Stamp Download not working — Parallax Forums

Serial To Stamp Download not working

SpryzSpryz Posts: 8
edited 2005-04-11 17:48 in BASIC Stamp
I just built my Sumo Bot and then plugged her in for a download. But she won't take the program. I click the "run" button, it checks the serial ports and reports loopback:yes and echo:yes. But it does not identify a device or download the program.

The serial port is set to 9600, 8, none, 1, none.

This sounds like a bad chip, but I am hoping I have overlooked something more simple than that.

Help!

Steve

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-04-10 14:52
    Steve -

Presuming you have brought power to the Stamp, and you're using an ordinary serial cable (NOT a null modem cable), how about some information on the type of computer and which operating sytem you're using.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • SpryzSpryz Posts: 8
    edited 2005-04-10 15:03
    Thanks Bruce,

I am using the cable that came with the kit and the bot lights up (and twitches a little when power is turned on). I just noticed that my chip has a very faint underlined X on it, written it what looks like pencil. I hope they didn't send me a reject by mistake! Anyhow...

Dell Dimension XPS 3.2Ghz Pentium 4
    1 Gb RAM
    700 GB of HD space
    ATI 9800 XT video card
    No other com or parallel ports being used
    Audigy 2 sound card
    PC has (2) serial ports, and I have tried them both
    (1) parallel port
    The PC OS was just reinstalled two weeks ago, the bot was just built and linked on 9 April 05.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-10 15:18
    ·· This may sound like a silly thing to try, but you should try another set of batteries as well.· On many occasions that turned out to be the problem, even though the batteries were "brand new" and the·LED comes on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-04-10 15:37
    Dang, nope the batteries aren't it. I tried switching with a set of brand new batteries and still the same problem. Thanks anyhow.
    edited 2005-04-10 18:43
    Steve -

Are you running HotSynch for your Palm or any similar resident program which accesses the serial port?

Bruce
    edited 2005-04-10 20:41
    Nope, nothing that accesses any com port. I don't even have a USB printer hooked up. In fact, the mouse is the only USB item I have along with my PS2 keyboard. Doesn't it seem weird that I can echo and loopback to the bot, yet not see the chip itself?
    edited 2005-04-10 21:05
    Steve -

Do you happen to have another serial cable you can try?

A new Stamp being dead, right out of the box, is quite an unusual thing in my experience.
    This SumoBot wasn't purchased on eBay, was it?

I don't own a SumoBot so I'm almost out of ideas, unfortunately.

Bruce
  • YojimboYojimbo Posts: 40
    edited 2005-04-10 22:26
    I am having a similar issue in most respects, but regarding a simple Identify command.
    edited 2005-04-10 23:10
    ·· Okay, wait a minute.· You were talking about a serial cable, and then later about not having conflicts with USB ports.· Are you using a serial version or a USB version?· If serial version, are you using a USB to serial adapter?· That makes a big difference.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-04-11 00:05
    No, sorry about the confusion. I was just trying to point out that there are few peripheral items to cause a conflict. I am communicating to the bot via a serial port. I do not have the USB/Serial adapter. I am going to try another serial cable as suggested and see what happens. Not sure if I have one here, but at work I do for sure.
    edited 2005-04-11 00:06
    I bought this bot via a friend, he bought it direct from Parallax. He bought the two for one so we could compete. His is working just fine.

Nope, no serial cable here. I will have to try it tomorrow. Dang. This isn't where I expected to get into trouble turn.gif

Post Edited (Spryz) : 4/11/2005 12:14:22 AM GMT
  • JonbJonb Posts: 146
    edited 2005-04-11 00:21
    Is the IC inserted properly, check all the connections with a voltmeter to be certain the stamp is getting power. Try it on another computer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Jonb) : 4/11/2005 10:58:42 AM GMT
    edited 2005-04-11 02:58
    Spryz said...
    I bought this bot via a friend, he bought it direct from Parallax. He bought the two for one so we could compete. His is working just fine.
    Nope, no serial cable here. I will have to try it tomorrow. Dang. This isn't where I expected to get into trouble turn.gif
    ·· Since your friend has one and his works fine, see if you can program yours from his computer.· That will help isolate it down to either a BOT or Computer problem.· You could also take your cable.· Although if it's the cable that came with it, it should work just fine.· The one time I saw one that didn't work, the pins somehow got bent on one end, and it wasn't making all the right connections.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • clayljclaylj Posts: 9
    edited 2005-04-11 04:59
    Spryz said...
    I am using the cable that came with the kit and the bot lights up (and twitches a little when power is turned on). I just noticed that my chip has a very faint underlined X on it, written it what looks like pencil. I hope they didn't send me a reject by mistake! Anyhow...

It sounds like you may have a crossover cable. These are sometimes marked with an X by techs so they don't grab the wrong cable. The fact the cable came with the bot does not guarantee that it is the correct cable. The friend that you got the bot from obviously has a good cable, try his.

Larry
    edited 2005-04-11 05:09
    He said the chip had an "X" on it, not the cable, which has me wondering if "X" really does mark the spot...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-04-11 16:51
    Hey guys, first off, thanks for all the feedback! I can tell by the forums that this is going to be a fun hobby once I get it going. I can't wait to start working with the bot.

I brought my bot in to work today and my friend is going to take it home and try it on his PC with his own cable. Hopefully I will know by tomorrow if it works or not. If it doesn't work, I am guessing that sending it back is my next step.
    edited 2005-04-11 17:36
    Yep, the jury has deliberated. It did not work from my buddy's PC either. The X is a bad omen. Anyone know what my next step is? Do I call up and ask for a replacement?
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-11 17:48
    Why yes, yes you should call up Parallax as your next step. They tend to be very accomodating.