Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie in trouble already! Help! ^_^ — Parallax Forums

Newbie in trouble already! Help! ^_^

YojimboYojimbo Posts: 40
edited 2005-04-11 21:13 in BASIC Stamp
Hey all, I've very new to this game and new to this community, so please be patient with me. I just got a robotics kit using the stamp cards (BS2). I got all my software installed and hardware hooked up properly to my laptop but the card isn't detected when I try to Identify it in the editor. Its on COM1, but nothing is listed and lookpack and echo values are Yes. I alreard went through the troubleshooting guide in my book and disabled the FIFO Buffers. Does anyone have any ideas? My setup connects from the Board of Education of my laptop via a serial cable that came with the kit (so I assume it isn't a NULL cable) and yes, its on and firmly connected. Any and all ideas would be greatly welcomed by my ignorant eyes. Thanks!!

-Yojimbo

Comments

• death by stampdeath by stamp Posts: 9
    edited 2005-04-10 07:59
    make sure that your actual BS2 chip is in properly and make sure that your board is reciving power

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -~Kill~-
  • YojimboYojimbo Posts: 40
    edited 2005-04-10 10:00
    I have checked both of those. The green LED light lights up when I toggle the powerswitch from 0 to 1 (not 2). I also removed and then reseated the BS2 chip, everything seems firmly in place.
  • JonbJonb Posts: 146
    edited 2005-04-10 11:05
    If you use software to synch a palm pilot or other gadget, this software may be using the port. Make certain to remove any software that may conflict, or try another com port.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • death by stampdeath by stamp Posts: 9
    edited 2005-04-10 11:12
    in that case it would give a message that the port was "not accessable" opposed to not decting it at all.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -~Kill~-
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-10 15:07
    Yojimbo said...
    I have checked both of those. The green LED light lights up when I toggle the powerswitch from 0 to 1 (not 2). I also removed and then reseated the BS2 chip, everything seems firmly in place.
    ·· Just to clarify...What do you mean?· Does the power light go out in position 2?· Also, did you turn the FIFO buffers off, or just set them at their lowest setting?· They should be off (Unchecked).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 4/10/2005 11:06:08 PM GMT
    edited 2005-04-10 18:42
    I ment that I did not have the powerswitch in position 2, it does, however, light up when it is switched to 2. And yes, I went through the troubleshooting guide that came with my kit and I turned off (unchecked)·the FIFO buffers (see my first post). Thanks for your time in this matter, its aggrivating :P Oh, and I don't have any palm software bidding for a port on my laptop.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-10 23:07
    ·· Okay, you might want to give us a call tomorrow between 7A-5P Pacific Time.· The number is here:

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/tech/index.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-04-11 21:13
    For anyone else who has this problem, after talking with Mr.Savage here, it was the batteries, which had enough juice to power the LED but not the rest of the board/Stamp. Thanks for all your help!