Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Matrix Orbital 4x20 via TX/RX and BS2?? — Parallax Forums

Matrix Orbital 4x20 via TX/RX and BS2??

WhipeOutWhipeOut Posts: 13
edited 2005-04-11 15:45 in BASIC Stamp
Hi!

I just got my Parallax shipment. Woohoo... Couldn't wait to get started. But I have kind of a problem. I can't find any info about how to comunicate with the display.

So... Do any of you guys have an example program that might help me get started? I have looked at the Matrix homepage, but the examples where in Purl, C and java.

Thanks

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-04-09 10:25
    Whipeout -

If you purchased Parallax Catalog Number 30058 then this is the web page with all the necessary documentation:
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30058

If it's some other LCD from Parallax, then check on this web page for the model you purchased:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/audiovisual/audio_visual.asp

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • WhipeOutWhipeOut Posts: 13
    edited 2005-04-09 13:22
    Anyone have a program where they use this display??
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-09 16:01
    Whipeout,

·· As Bruce pointed out the manual is on our website.· It contains all the necessary information to use the display.· Since the display uses SEROUT commands, you still might have to decipher someone elses program to see what commands they are sending to the display.· Instead of trying to reverse engineer the code, just follow the commands in the manual and you will only have to read it once.· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • norris56norris56 Posts: 69
    edited 2005-04-09 16:17
    I'm trying to get this display to work with a BS2 as well. Its been quite frustrating.

The manual is hardly a help.

1. The manual says that the TX/RX run at RS232 levels but the unit seems to be jumpered for TTL. (Which is it?)
    2. The default baud rate is 19200 but the BS2 appears to be only able to operate up to 9600. (How do we set the Baud rate?)
    3. The board picture in the errata sheet does not even match the actual unit. (What other errors are there?)

Can anyone point us to some good documentation on how to use this display with a BS2?
    Has anyone ever used this display with a BS2?
    edited 2005-04-09 17:09
    ·· Actually our web page for this product clearly states that the version we have is pre-modified to run on TTL levels, not RS-232.· I mentioned the page above for the reference material, of which an errata sheet is also available.· And while the picture is currently not an exact match (Something we are addressing), the only minor difference has nothing to do with the connections for the power and communication.· As I recall from a recent e-mail about this, the only difference is Matrix Orbital has added a connector to the top of the display that looks nothing like the ones you need, so that can be disregarded.

·· Now, as for the BS2 appearing to operate at only 9600 baud.· Again I don't know where you got the information, because the BS2 can communicate higher than the 19,200 you mentioned.· In fact our PSC communicates with it at 38.4K baud, and our new Serial LCD Display communicates with it at 19.2K baud.· In fact in demo code for the DS1302 which I uploaded to the Projects forum, we are using 19.2K baud with the LCD on a standard BS2.

·· This all boils down to reading the documentation, and posting questions here if you can't find what you're looking for.· Of course you can always call or e-mail Tech Support as well.· But the information is there, in the manuals.· I apologize if you have been mis-informed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-04-09 19:48
    Thanks for the information Chris. I now have my display working.

I was under the misguided expectation that the documentation (for the LK202-25) would be all together as with many of your other products of which I have had no problems getting up and running. In this case I should have to referred to:

1. The LK202-25 user manual.
    2. The Errata sheet.
    3. Your web page for the product. (for the TTL/RS232 question)
    4. The Basic Stamp syntax and reference manual.
    5. The demo code for the DS1302.

In the future I will endeavor to read everything (and I mean everything!) and try to figure it out for myself. Thanks again for the great tech support.
    edited 2005-04-09 21:26
    ·· Well as I said earlier, if you're in doubt, simply post the question here or e-mail tech support, and you'll get an answer very quickly.· I guess you really didn't need to check all those resources...I mean our website had all the documentation you needed on that one page.

·· I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you have the Stamp editor installed...And if that's the case, in the help file, it tells you the max baud rates for each BS2 Module.· That combined with the complete docs for the module should've been all you needed.

·· In any event you seem to be settled now.· I will try to make sure a new picture is placed in the errata sheet as soon as possible.· Please feel free to let us know of any errors that may exist in our documentation in the future and we will try to correct them in a timely manner.· Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-04-09 21:41
    Thanks Chris,

I'll add the Help file to my (already numerous) list of documentation to check in the future.

I did notice an error when I "read" the LK202-25 User Manual. The pictures and diagrams all show a 10 pin header for the keyboard (page 8 and 17). On my board there is a 12 pin header. I'm not sure what the other pins are for (maybe for another row and/or column) but I did get the keyboard to work by simply centering the connector as suggested. I'm surprised you did not notice this when you "read" the manual. [noparse];)[/noparse]

Despite the scattered documention I do like this little unit. It does work well.
    edited 2005-04-10 03:50
    Here is the code that I used to get my LK202-25 running. I used a Matrix 4x4 keyboard and cable for input. It was written for a BS2pe so you may have to change the Baud constant for your processor. It uses the keyboard in "polled mode" so I could run a long operation and not have to directly poll the keyboard. The comments detail how I connected the display and keyboard. I hope this will help give someone a faster and easier start then I had with display.
  • Tom-Matrix OrbitalTom-Matrix Orbital Posts: 38
    edited 2005-04-11 15:45
    Hi,

Glad you got your module working.

If any of you guys have any problems related to the Matrix Orbital module, you can also post on the Matrix Orbital discussion forum at http://lcdforums.com/forums/ or you can contact me directly at support@matrixorbital.ca, and I will take care of your questions or concerns.

Best Regards,