Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Has this ever happened to you? — Parallax Forums

Has this ever happened to you?

death by stampdeath by stamp Posts: 9
edited 2005-04-12 04:54 in BASIC Stamp
I·died a little today as i watched a little puff of white smoke eject from my stamp...

I died a little more when i plugged my stamp into its socket and nothing happened...

I die more and more as i think about my poor lifeless stamp in its anti-static bag...

and to add to it all, i don't even know why it happened so i can't kick myself for it.

console me people, these are hard times.

(also im sorry if this is a little off topic or in the wrong forum)

··· -Jon

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-04-09 12:19
    Probably everyone in these forums (myself included) has smoked a part at least once. This is called experience - and most people learn from their experience so they won't do that again. Parallax may be able to repair the stamp - give them a call on Monday.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-04-09 13:00
    Call Monday and then change your handle ... your BASIC Stamp didn't kill you, you killed it! RIP, poor little 24-pin legged guy....

Our·Tech guys are good, and can get you sorted out: 1-888-99-STAMP.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • death by stampdeath by stamp Posts: 9
    edited 2005-04-10 05:20
    hey, don't worry about it. ive destroyed many chips in my day but ive never smoked a $40 dollar collection of chips the size of a postage stamp.

I plan to but a new BS2p to replace my BS2.

but in my mind thats like rolling up two $20 dollar bills and burning them...

disregard my complaining im just a little pissed about wasting such a good thing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -~Kill~-
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-11 13:53
    Yes, that's an old Engineering saying: "Experience is equal to the amount of equipment destroyed."

And Parallax really is good about repairing your Stamp for a nominal fee -- much less than $40, I believe.

I also understand Jon's concern -- "death by stamp" is a pretty serious charge that can get spread around the web, and the BS2 doesn't deserve that kind of press. What you get for your $40 is a very nice, robust little device with its own processor, clock, non-volatile memory and a voltage regulator for heaven's sake. Add a 9-volt battery and off you go -- something you can't say about most microprocessors.

They can be killed, of course, and I'm sure often are since they serve the experimenter's and learning market so well. But that's hardly the BS2's fault.
  • death by stampdeath by stamp Posts: 9
    edited 2005-04-12 02:57
    well i don't plan to repair it as that seems a bit impractical...

and this gives me a chance to but a better one.

and yes i have learned from my experiences and and hopefully something like that won't happen with a more expensive stamp.

but i was just a little upset beacuse that was· the first stamp ive fried and it has done its job well for about two years now.

so yeah, disregard this post.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -~Kill~-
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-04-12 04:54
    Hopefully you'll be more careful with your new BASIC Stamp. Trust me, we've all toasted them -- carelessness kills.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA