Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
V2Xe compass module from PNI — Parallax Forums

V2Xe compass module from PNI

denodeno Posts: 242
edited 2005-04-08 23:26 in BASIC Stamp
Hello, for a good number of years now, I have been working with the Stamp and the regular V2X compass module.· I now find that I need more accuracy that the V2Xe compass module offers.· I have down loaded the code from PNI that uses the BS2p stamp.·

Question:· Does anyone know if I can use the V2Xe compass module with a BS2 stamp.· I don't have any BS2p stamps, but I have lots of BS2's.

Deno

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-04-08 15:33
    Hello,

Try this link:· http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=468398·.· This may help you with your project.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-04-08 15:47
    Deno,

I think it should. I have been playing with a V2XE this week, although with a 2P, not a 2. I may try a 2 over the weekend if I have time.

If you have any odd results when trying, look for another thread about the 2XE earlier this week, with a title "Shiftout-Mac and PC editor different?". There is an anomly with the code wherin some users have to change the stock code to get it to work, I did.

HTH,

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • denodeno Posts: 242
    edited 2005-04-08 15:48
    Dave Andreae...thanks for the fast reply. However, the link doesn't answer my question. I have used the V2X compass module with the BS2 to build several satellite trackers to be used on a boat to keep the Directv dish pointed at the satellite while the boat swings at anchor. (The V2X has a resolution of only 1 degree)

Now, I would like to use the V2Xe compass module because of it's increase accuracy...(tenth of a degree resolution), but I would like to know if the BS2 stamp is fast enough or has the right commands to control the V2Xe compass module. I know the BS2p will work with the V2Xe compass module, but will the BS2 work as well?
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-04-08 16:40
    It looks like that program, V2Xe(Heading).bsp, should work fine with no changes on a BS2. Same for the calibration and config programs. No uniquely BS2p commands.

I think the conversion from floating point to integer could be simplified (made faster). This was a topic of a thread last year:

groups.yahoo.com/group/basicstamps/message/45030
    groups.yahoo.com/group/basicstamps/message/45041

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-04-08 16:43
    The BS2p is faster than the BS2 for sure, but the SPI-type commands (SHIFTOUT and SHIFTIN) are still pretty swift in the BS2. Since the BS2 creates the clock for SHIFTOUT and SHIFTIN, the speed of the BS2 should be irrelavant vis-a-vis the compass. The overall program may be a tad slower than the same running on a BS2p, but I suspect that it will still work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-04-08 19:03
    Once again, thank you Jon...I go ahead and order a V2Xe and give it a try...thanks again everyone.

deno
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-04-08 20:38
    Deno,

Just to make sure you know, the 2XE needs a 3V power supply. PNI states there will be no problem between the Stamps 5V TTL and the 2XE 3V on the output/inputs. I put a 220 ohm resistor in series just in case.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
    edited 2005-04-08 23:26
    Jonathon...thanks for the heads up on the 220 ohm resistor.

deno