Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
fast timer needed — Parallax Forums

fast timer needed

dakenskysdakenskys Posts: 1
edited 2005-04-06 02:56 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All -
I'm kinda new to Stamps and programming, so if someone can help, I'd appreciate it -

I want to use a Basic Stamp along with an LED emitter and detector in a manner to me able to time a fast moving object, sort of like a slot car, and then display it's speed on an LCD display.
Doesn't have to be "real" MPH...just a scaled down readout would work too.
I have a limited space for the sensor, so I can't spread them apart too far, and I'm not quite sure what programming to use.· I'm a bit confused whether I use "count" or "RCTime" or other means to measure the super fast time, and then convert it to a number like:· "120 mph".
Thanks for all your help!

·

Comments

• KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2005-04-06 02:56
    It sounds like this application will be indoors?

Among many, two possible methods are to use a pair of IR sensors spaced a known distance apart, you can record the time from 'sensor one' to 'sensor two' having the beam blocked.

With the known distance between sensors and time, you have have a time distance relationship.....velocity.

Another possible solution might employ a strategy similar to:
    http://www.parallax.com/sx/contest/contest_door_velocity.asp

A third method I will not get into at this time uses a modified section of the track. Several years ago I made a slot car lap counter for a multilane course. I would show how many laps each lane completed. This was used in an application where the winner was the person who completed the most laps in a given race period.

Ken

Post Edited (KenM) : 4/6/2005 3:10:08 AM GMT