Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A simple question for a first post about an LED moving display — Parallax Forums

A simple question for a first post about an LED moving display

slotcarzslotcarz Posts: 30
edited 2005-04-06 00:16 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all..
I've search for some info here and found some which is great but still need a little advice. I have a slot machine that needs a LED display for the top of it. Well I need it, not the machinesmile.gif . It has to be a custom made display which I have all the items to·build it, I hope so anyways here is my question.
Will the BS2 run this display of lets say 360 LEDs? It may be less but not more. I am content on using a pc to run it with just a basic message burned in but just learning about the basic stamp this week really has me going.
Maybe someone could point me in the right direction or have a link to where I might find more info?

thanks for the read and take it easy....

slotcarz

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-04-05 22:04
    Hello,

Check out the MAX7221 or MAX7219 LED driver.· Here is a link for more information:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=603-00001·.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2005-04-05 22:52
    Hello-
    As Dave said, check out the info on that chip. The literal answer to your question is- no. The stamp wont drive that many LED's without help. It is too much current draw for the stamps pin's. By using the MAX 7221 or 7219 the stamp is freed from having to directly drive the LED's.

Shawn Lowe

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

Remember - No matter where you go
    There you are.
  • slotcarzslotcarz Posts: 30
    edited 2005-04-05 23:18
    Thank you very much! I noticed that the website doesn't sell the narrow plastic DIP for the chip. Any ideas where to get those?
    I really appreciate the help.

cya
    slotcarz
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-04-05 23:22
    Are you referring to the socket?· If so, please check with Digi-Key, Jameco, or Mouser.· If you are refering to the chip, we sell the single wide dip chip.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • slotcarzslotcarz Posts: 30
    edited 2005-04-06 00:16
    Yes I am referring to the socket, sorry.
    I want to make everything as clean as possible. Thanks Dave..