Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BSII output hardware suggestions needed — Parallax Forums

BSII output hardware suggestions needed

DonSlepianDonSlepian Posts: 2
edited 2005-04-04 19:32 in BASIC Stamp
I am working on a footpedal project that may be an aid to disabled people. I have some programming/electronics background but I am new to the Basic Stamp world. I have a BSII with prototyping board and I'm working with the Scott Edwards book on Programming and Customizing the Basic Stamp Computer. I would like to have the BSII read a value from an ADC0831 ADC and close one of 64 CMOS analog switches (I'm using the old CD4016) in response. I can use the ADC programming code from the Time/Temperature display project. I'm looking for help on the output hardware. I have 8 output pins available. The closest chip I've found that could interface between the Basic Stamp II outputs and my CD4016 analog switches is the CD45154BC 4-to-16 line decoder. I could try using 4 of those, but is there a more elegant solution? I suspect 6 BSII output pins connecting to a collection of simple logic gates would do it, but I can't picture the circuit. Thank you so much for any suggestions!

Don Slepian, Don@DonSlepian.com

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-04 17:24
    Typically you would use a 74HCT595 Serial to Parallel converter chip to do this sort of thing. This would use 3 pins of the BS2 to send data using the 'SHIFTOUT' command to the '595's -- and it would support any number of '595's.

So get 8 '595's, determine what the CD4016's want to be sent to control them, and do a SHIFTOUT of 8-bytes from the BS2 to the '595's. Send the parallel outputs of the '595's to the CD4016's, and you should be good to go.
  • DonSlepianDonSlepian Posts: 2
    edited 2005-04-04 19:32
    Thank you very much! I'll give that approach a try. I appreciate your help.