Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
problems with BOE BOT manual — Parallax Forums

problems with BOE BOT manual

waltwalt Posts: 27
edited 2005-04-04 05:15 in BASIC Stamp
·· I am having trouble with some parts of the BOE BOT manual. On page259 part of the program is missing after··· ·elseif (irdetectright = 1)···· there needs to be···· and (irdetectleft=0) then.· Also on page 89 it states····· 12cw and 13ccw· for 12 ,850 and 13, 650·.· Also on page 34 the debug for Ascii codes statement does not work. Seems as if it needs a cammand at the end of this line.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-04-03 22:13
    It would be helpful to forward your concerns to editor@parallax.com -- she doesn't have a chance to visit the forums as frequently as the rest of us (though I will alert her and the Boe-Bot manual's author).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • edited 2005-04-04 05:15
    Walt,

Yes, Jon has alerted both the author and the editor (thanks Jon). We always appreciate the kind of information you provide, and editor@parallax.com is the correct address. When emailing the editor, please make sure to state which revision of the book you are working from, for example Robotics with the Boe-Bot v2.2 (printed/pdf).

Page 34

I am working from the PDF right now, and it worked alright for me. Please copy and paste the code below into your BASIC Stamp Editor and run it. If it works, please compare it to what you see in your copy of the text and let us know what you find:

' Robotics with the Boe-Bot - AsciiName.bs2
    ' Use ASCII code in a DEBUG command to display the words BASIC Stamp 2.
    ' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    DEBUG 66,65,83,73,67,32,83,116,97,109,112,32,50
    END

Page 89

Yes, that's a misprint. Thank you for alerting us to it.

Page 259

The code should run correctly as shown. In PBASIC, an IF...ELSEIF...ELSE...ENDIF statement acts on the first true statement. Then, it skips all the rest of the conditions and moves to the ENDIF. The code block in the very first IF THEN statement in the program will execute only when both irDetectLeft and irDetectRight store ones. The ELSEIF statement that follows it checks to find out if only irDetectRight stores a one. If the program gets to that ELSEIF and irDetectRight stores a 1, irDetectLeft must store a zero.

I do not know whether the way IF THEN works is explained in these terms anywhere in the text. We'll take a closer look. If it's not, that certainly needs to be added to the list and incorporated into the next revision.

If you find any more issues, we'll look forward to hearing from you at editor@parallax.com.

Thanks and regards,
    Andy Lindsay