Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Please help Me get started — Parallax Forums

Please help Me get started

ChinsterChinster Posts: 1
edited 2005-04-03 17:03 in BASIC Stamp
I have always wanted to try to make a watch winder for an Automatic, Machanical watch. For those who don't know what it takes to wind an automatic watch, basically, it would be turning the whole watch in one direction for several revolutions, then the opposite direction, then stopping for several minutes, then starting the opperation again.
Sounds simple enough, but for someone who's hasn't turned on a soldering iron·since high school basic electricity class (20+ yrs ago) I need some serious help.
I thought of starting with a kit like the Motor Mind C - BS2 Carrier Board. but will this be all I need to get started or will I need somthing else?
HELP!!.... and Thanks.

Comments

• JonbJonb Posts: 146
    edited 2005-04-03 10:30
    This can easily be done with one of Parallax' continuous rotation servos and a basic stamp module. It would save you the added expense of a motor controller, although your method would work.
    Go to the parallax main site and look through the stampwork and stamps in class tutorials, there you will find your answers. Theres a bunch of PDF files that cover pretty much everything.

Post Edited (Jonb) : 4/3/2005 10:35:05 AM GMT
  • agentileagentile Posts: 101
    edited 2005-04-03 17:03
    If I were doing this project, what I would first consider is what is the most likely place I'm going to run into trouble - especially with respect to finding parts - and I would start there.· I would start with·the·device you are going to use to·physically wind the watch.· Finding a·small motor with the appropriate sized gearing may be hard to find.· How are you going to fit the watch into the winder?· Once you have the mechanical·parts·established, I think you will find that the electrical and programming aspect of the project will be easy in comparison.

good luck,

agentile