Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Total Newbie... — Parallax Forums

Total Newbie...

cyberphant0mcyberphant0m Posts: 2
edited 2005-04-04 02:00 in BASIC Stamp
First off, I wanna say that I am a complete newbie when it comes to robotics, electronics, etc. I know·a bit when it comes to computers, and software , but other than that, im a total newbie. With that said, here goes:

My friend would like to try creating a system that is connected to a window. It should sense temperature in a given room, and the temperature outside. He would like it to then compare the two readings, and either open the window, or close it.

My question is this: What components would my friend need to build a system like this, and are there any resources that we can use to guide us in this project. This is obviously a reinvention of the wheel (or air conditioner) but our main concern isn't to cool the room efficiently, but to make it actually work.

Thanks in advance for any help that is provided.

Comments

• JonbJonb Posts: 146
    edited 2005-04-02 23:33
    Sounds like a fun project, I have components to suggest.

Temperature sensors: DS1620 you'll need 2, one against the glass(depends on window perhaps it will need to be placed outside)·and one exposed to the room. There are many projects in the Parallax database that use this IC. There are many different types, some use external probes to sense temperature, so whatever you deem best for the job.

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/books/sw/exp/sw28.pdf

Processor, Microcontroller: a Basic stamp module could work nicely, or if you wish to get something smaller and more powerful and are not intimidated by assembler then the SX chips are suggested.

Window Opener: This gets tricky, as the window style affects the device that opens it, I leave this to your better judgement. Ideally an electric actuator used in car customization could slide the window open and closed(refer to monster garage)

Should be a great project to learn about electronics. Have fun!

Note:·Make provisions for burglar and fire prevention. Better safe then sorry.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Jonb) : 4/4/2005 2:30:29 AM GMT
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-04-03 00:07
    There was discussion on this very topic a few weeks ago - see http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=527369
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-03 01:51
    ·· I would also recommend reading the "What's A Microcontroller?" text, a free download from our website, before tackling this, so that you're familiar with programming the Stamp and interfacing to it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • cyberphant0mcyberphant0m Posts: 2
    edited 2005-04-03 18:06
    cool, thanks for the replies.

I don't think we'll be implementing this in an home, or marketing it to others. This is just for experimental purposes, just so we can see if it's feasible to do it... hehe
  • Skypilotb22Skypilotb22 Posts: 1
    edited 2005-04-04 01:51
    Hey guyz, i am the friend, another total newbie. Please help me with this project, Any help with the products and software i can use would really be appreciated. Thanks and please keep posting any help u got!
  • JonbJonb Posts: 146
    edited 2005-04-04 02:00
    Welcome to the forum.

Browse through the Parallax products. And read the document Chris suggests.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/kits/starter_kits.asp

I suggest the BS2sx which i proudly use, although their OEM SX Line is hot ATM and on Sale·which I also use.

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=45181

Parallax has some neet starter packages and documentation out the yin yang. Their software·is excellent and its FREE! Start off small and work towards the intended project. Start off by getting a LED to blink, then once you get how this works you can try other things. Work on it piece by piece then slap it all together and watch the sparks fly·smilewinkgrin.gif

The only way to understand is to demonstrate and its difficult over ether. Define what you want to do exactly, it will make things easier later on.

Jon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Jonb) : 4/4/2005 2:34:49 AM GMT