Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Program the stamp without program board? — Parallax Forums

Program the stamp without program board?

WhipeOutWhipeOut Posts: 13
edited 2005-04-05 10:54 in BASIC Stamp
Hi!

Anyone that have a suggestion about how to program the Stamp when it's in a circuit? To create a programming opportunity in the circuit I'd like to make so that I don't have to remove the Stamp to reprogram it.

Thanks

WhipeOut

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-04-02 19:31
    WhipeOut,

·· There is information, including a schematic in the current version of the BASIC Stamp Manual, which is available as a free download from our website.· It basically shows the connections needed from the DB9 to the stamp, including 2 capacitors.· If you follow that carefully you should be okay.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-02 20:39
    Yes, and don't forget the ground wire!

Basically, you wire pins 2 through 5 of the DB-9 to pins 1 through 4 of the BS2 socket. Then you tie DB-9 pin 6 and 7 together. That's it. Should be simple to make just a pig-tail that plugs in to 4 jumper posts on your target board.

Note most people tend to use the built-in serial port for their RS-232 -- you may have to rig some removable jumpers if you want to use that port in-circuit, AND be able to use it to program with.

Oh, I did leave out the two 0.1 uF capacitors that need to be in the BS2 pin 3 circuit.· Look at the BOE schematic to see how to wire them.·
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-04-03 04:38
    I socketed my BS2 so that swapping it back and forth did not damage the pins. When I bend a pin on the socket, I replace the socket.
  • LarryLarry Posts: 212
    edited 2005-04-03 04:56
    I've done the same thing Allan has using a 24 pin test clip from 3M. It just clips over the stamp when you need to program it.

As well as giving you access to the 4 serial interface lines, It'll give access to all the Stamp pins. You then have an easy way to test the state of the other pins.

move it from circuit to circuit as you need to.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • WhipeOutWhipeOut Posts: 13
    edited 2005-04-05 10:54
    Thanks guys.

I'm thinking of building something for my car that includes a pin-code. And it would have been great to be able to change this code without removing the circuit board/box.