Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
help with dc-2-ac convertion — Parallax Forums

help with dc-2-ac convertion

Jose MorenoJose Moreno Posts: 9
edited 2005-03-31 05:17 in BASIC Stamp

hi!!

can anyone help me, I am trying to run a electric-train pump that uses ac
and I have all dc power..· can anyone tell me if there is a simple way to convert dc
to ac ? and have the hertz be ajustabble?

thanks

Jose

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Thanks

Jose

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-03-30 21:27
    Jose,

·· Can't you just switch the AC that normally runs it?· You could use a Relay or an SSR.· If you no longer have the original AC adapter, you might be able to get a replacement at Radio Shack.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-03-30 21:33
    Jose -

To answer your question directly, there is no "simple" way to convert DC to AC. However, there may be other ways to do what you need to do. Do you have any information about the pump such as manufacturer, part number or possible a web page with information about it?

Is there any information on the pump itself regarding voltage, amperage, etc? What is the pump actually used for?

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • edited 2005-03-30 21:42
    Yes, if you could be a little more specific about things like the voltage and current capacity of your DC supply and the AC voltage, power, and freuqency requriements, it would help.· Links to product pages on the web can sometime also be useful, especially if they have online product manuals with specifications.·

Along generic lines, there is such a thing as a DC/AC power inverter.· Here is a link:

http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-30 22:13
    This article may be of interest to you: http://www.edn.com/article/CA502426.html?spacedesc=designideas
  • Jose MorenoJose Moreno Posts: 9
    edited 2005-03-30 23:13
    well, i'm not doing a train project. i'm just using an electric train water pump for a
    totaly unrealyted project... I don't even own a train.

the pump is a Bachmann mini water pump it uses 16+v ac part number # c00812
    other then voltage I realy don't have too much info... I know it does not use very much power or amps
    I know when i tested the coild with a multi-meter i got a reading of 106 ohm on the coil.
    since i'm not into trains , I ofcouse don't have the power-supply.

Jose

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Thanks

Jose
  • K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2005-03-30 23:34
    Hi Jose,

Some AC motors allso run on DC, especially if they have two brushes inside. Did you try that ??

Why not ?

Klaus
  • Jose MorenoJose Moreno Posts: 9
    edited 2005-03-30 23:44
    I already tryed that , I opened one of them up and found that the pump is just one big coil that drives a metel object
    side to side using magnitisem... it's not a convetional type pump.

sorry guys if i'm not explaining myself to well...
    this must be fustrating for you.

Jose

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Thanks

Jose
  • Richard FurnissRichard Furniss Posts: 4
    edited 2005-03-31 03:00
    Jose, a simple way would be to get a small inverter (from the auto parts store !!!) it converts 12 volts DC to 115 volts AC and then plug a wall wart into the inverter·that has the·correct ac output voltage and current.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-03-31 03:24
    Jose -

Here is a physically small, fairly inexpensive, water pum which operates on 1.5-3.0 VDC which may be more appropriate for your project. I suspect the Bachmann Pump you were looking at is a reciprocating pump which uses the AC signal to vibrate a diaphram, from the looks of it. Here is a link to the pump:
    http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3050345

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-03-31 03:41
    You know, the Bachmann controller should have an 'Accessory' port, which is 16 Volts AC. You might try that.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-03-31 05:17
    Jose said...

... I opened one of them up and found that the pump is just one big coil that drives a metal object
    side to side using magnetism... it's not a conventional type pump.

It sounds like you might be able to get away without using AC, instead just an H-Bridge switching polarity.
    You said that you tried DC, but did you try manually switching polarity on your DC supply?
    ...You might need to get a DPDT switch set to reverse polarity when toggled to get the speed to test this theory.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    Latest Company News
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe) : 3/31/2005 5:20:15 AM GMT