Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Experience with ISD or Quadravox -playback chips? — Parallax Forums

Experience with ISD or Quadravox -playback chips?

Scott MScott M Posts: 43
edited 2005-03-30 19:21 in BASIC Stamp
Basically, I want spoken voice and sound effects to be played under the control of a stamp. I know, Quadravox has just the thing, etc. I have one of those, and it works ok for my talking alarm clock, but it's not quite right for my current project.

The problem is, the Quardavox uses the cueing mode of the ISD chip. So if you tell it to play message 191, it scans over messages 0-190 to find 191. It scans quickly, but scanning still interjects a noticable delay, which is really, *really* annoying when you want it to speak complete·sentences. My alarm clock sounds like a drunk, trying to get a sentence out. Luckily, when I'm waking up, I'm not much more coherent myself, so I don't mind it so much. But my current project involves a lot of people who are wide awake and who aren't. going to. have. any patience. with a. circuit. that. can't keep a. sentence. going.

What I'd like to do is stuff my own messages into an ISD chip, and somehow know what addresses the messages are at, so I can tell the chip to play from that address, directly. No cueing, no funny pauses.

The problem is, I can't figure out how. You can stuff a message into any address you like, but there doesn't seem to be a way to tell where the last message you entered ends! So there's no easy way to know where to put your next message. I could do trial and error to find the ends of messages, but dear mercy that could take days.

Anyone have an elegant solution? I mean, I suppose I could buy some memory, a clock, a latchable counter for the address, and a DAC chip and figure out how to stream my own blasted audio from any address I like, but that doesn't sound like much fun. Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-30 03:03
    These articles may help you -- if you want to roll-your-own.

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol2/col/nv65.pdf
    http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol2/col/nv66.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • Scott MScott M Posts: 43
    edited 2005-03-30 11:26
    Nifty. It confirms my suspicion, though - the only way to find the addresses in the chip is by trial and error. That's ok if I don't plan on changing the messages often, but...

It's a pity that ISD didn't spend the extra dollar to make the address lines read-write instead of write-only. That would have made everything really easy....
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-30 13:43
    If you use the ISD2560 you get 600 addresses (0.1 sec resolution). You can use that as a guide if you know about when in time your fragment appears. Once you have a chip mapped you're set.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-03-30 18:56
    Scott,

·· I may be wrong, but looking at the docs for my old ISD1000, I would guess that if you know how long the audio is that you're recording, and the start address, you should be able to calculate the end address, or be close enough where it won't take days to figure it out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Scott MScott M Posts: 43
    edited 2005-03-30 19:21
    *mutter* With some hacking, can get all the sounds and phrases I need encoded as individual samples (well, except for announcing numbers, but I can stand the short pauses in those cases.) So I can use the Quadravox offering after all. Which is good; I started to design my own and I was up to 12 chips before I gave it up. (I know the rules: getting a chip to work takes a day, getting two chips to cooperate takes 4 days; 3 chips is 8 days, 4 chips is an 16 days and an angry wife, 5 chips is ...)

I don't suppose Parallax could ask Quadravox to offer a non-cueing variant of their board, that lets you directly specify *and get back* the addresses for each sample? They've gone to the trouble of creating a serial interface; it could report this data back on demand...