Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Dead serial connection — Parallax Forums

Dead serial connection

homesch00lkidhomesch00lkid Posts: 20
edited 2005-03-28 18:51 in BASIC Stamp
My BS2 isn't showing up in the Stamp Editor. It was working a few minutes ago, and nothing has changed in my hardware setup. Loopback and echo are both coming up with "yes". The stamp is definitly powered, and my serial connection seems to be fine. The only thing that I've found that might be·the cause·is that·a 5V regulator in my curcuit seems to be outputing 9V.·It isn't connected to the stamp in any way besides sharing the same 9V power supply. Could this be a problem? Has anyone else ever had this sort of thing happen? I've never seen a voltage regulator do this before, but it seems unrelated.

Comments

• homesch00lkidhomesch00lkid Posts: 20
    edited 2005-03-28 17:48
    Update: The voltage regulator now outputs an appropriate 5V. I still can't see the stamp.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-28 18:00
    Maybe your bad regulator killed your BASIC Stamp. Was there a program onboard that you can detect running?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-03-28 18:23
    I figured it out. The bad regulator fried the stamp's onboard regulator. If I bypass it the stamp works. Now I need a new stamp, though...

Oh well. Thanks!
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-28 18:29
    If you are adept at soldering, you can just buy a replacement regulator, and replace it on your stamp. If you mess up, you were planning on throwing the thing away anyways, if you succeed, you save yourself the expense of buying another stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2005-03-28 18:51
    Good point. I'll do that.