Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Shortening A Program — Parallax Forums

Shortening A Program

GuidoGuido Posts: 195
edited 2005-03-30 00:31 in BASIC Stamp
I am trying tricks to shorten my programs and have one I know can be done, but having problems getting it to work.
The Basic Format seems simple but the getting the results I can not seem to get..
Here we go! I have a Hex variable, 1 to 20. Depending on the number I want to run a certain subroutine equal to the number received.
Example if the Hex number is 15, I want to go to a subroutine and toggle an output 15 times....Is their an easy way to do this without listing every number with an "IF" and then? I am not sure if you could use a loop on this or not.
Thank You
Guido

Post Edited By Moderator (Jon Williams) : 3/28/2005 1:44:32 PM GMT

Comments

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-03-28 15:45
    If these subroutines have to do more than just blink an LED the number of times specified, then

'{$PBASIC 2.5}
    ON myVariable GOSUB sub0,sub1,sub2,sub3,.... etc

sub0:
    ' stuff
    RETURN

sub1:
    ' stuff
    RETURN

etc.

On the other hand, if each subroutine simply blinks the LED myVariable times, then you do not need separate subroutines to do that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-03-28 15:46
    The "Lookup" and "LookDown" commands were made for this, as was the "ON...GOSUB".

MAIN:

MyHexVal = $F
    ON MyHexVal GOSUB Task_0, Task_1, Task_2, Task_3, Task_4, Task_5, Task_6,
    Task_7, Task_8, Task_9, Task_10, Task_11, Task_12, Task_13,
    Task_14, Task_15 ' 0 -> Task_0

GOTO MAIN

Note you could plug the SAME destination in each, and have that destination do:

Task_X:
    · FOR I = 0 TO MyHexVal
    ··· HIGH LEDPin
    ··· PAUSE 500· ' 1/2 second on
    ··· LOW LEDPin
    ··· PAUSE 500· ' 1/2/ second off
    · NEXT
    · RETURN

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 3/28/2005 3:50:18 PM GMT
  • GuidoGuido Posts: 195
    edited 2005-03-30 00:31
    Allan and Tracy,

Thank You very much!!!! Allan was right on the money, I just thought I could not do a Hex variable loop. Well now I know I can. Tracy, The lookup table is fine the problem if your dealing with 20 different variables, then end requires to many goto statements....Thanks to you both for your help.

Guido