Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LCD AppMod — Parallax Forums

LCD AppMod

CharlieCCharlieC Posts: 14
edited 2005-03-27 18:23 in BASIC Stamp
I bought the LCD appmod and it works fine on the BOE.· In looking through the demo code, it appears that only that the absolute minimum pins required to use the LCD is three.· That would be cool, but I am not comfortable enough with the code to be sure.· Also, when I look at the BS1 App Notes: LCD "user interface terminal", it appears that 7 pins are required.· Can someone point me to any docs that give a more definitive description of the interface between the lcd appmod and the bs2?· Learning by looking at the code is failing me this time.· I want to interface the bs2, tsl230, and the lcd, and I need a minimum of 7 pins for the tsl230 and a trigger line.

Any help would be appricated.· I did a search through the forums before posing the questions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Charlie Chisholm

That part, at least,·I'm sure of.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-27 17:28
    Nope, the absolute minimum is six: four LCD bus pins, the E line, and the RS line. If you want to read back from the LCD then you need the seventh (RW) -- otherwise just tie this pin low to write to the LCD.

What you *should* do is get the Hitachi HD44780 documentation and read through it -- all of our code is based on those specifications.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-03-27 17:30
    Hello,

Check out this link below, go to the·PDF file(LCD AppMod manual)·and scroll down to the last page.· It has a schematic for the connections.

·http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=29121

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

Post Edited (Dave Andreae (Parallax)) : 3/27/2005 5:43:44 PM GMT
  • CharlieCCharlieC Posts: 14
    edited 2005-03-27 18:23
    Opps, didn't go far enough down on the docs. Thanks all. That got me started.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Charlie Chisholm

That part, at least,·I'm sure of.