Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Proteus VSM — Parallax Forums

Proteus VSM

kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
edited 2005-06-01 06:08 in BASIC Stamp
I attempted to use the search to find info from previous posts, but didn't have much luck.
Anyway, after playing around with the demo, this is a great tool. Takes a bit to figure everything out, but the simulator part is worth the effort. Gives a good understanding on how to make circuits and to see them operating. I know the cost is high to actually purchase, but just running it in demo mode is good enough to use for experimenting. Worth a look for people to learn about circuit design, and has the support for stamps as well as other micros.
Anyone else have some impressions of this?

kelvin

Comments

• davidsdavids Posts: 64
    edited 2005-05-25 01:59
    Kelvin,

I picked one up the other week,· its fadulous to use but I·having problems using it with Basic Stamp code.· This is the simulation error log I get
    edited 2005-05-30 11:02
    I solved my problem with the code for 74HC154 and the code works fine now

DIRS = %1111
    MAIN:
    FOR OUTS = %1111 TO %0000
    PAUSE 200
    LOW 4
    NEXT
    GOTO MAIN

I'm still a little mess up about why I needed to include the low 4 part of the code but it worked
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-05-30 20:34
    davids,

·· Perhaps Enable lines (G1 & G2)·on the 74154?· Without them low, it won't work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-05-31 00:42
    this is the way it is working now.· I connected G1 and G2
    edited 2005-05-31 01:51
    davids,

·· I don't have the Proteus software to see what you have connected to what, but if P4 was connected to the G1 & G2 lines that would explain why it wouldn't work without that LOW 4 in there.· As a side-note, you should use more descriptive labels that "A."· It will help you later.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-05-31 03:57
    I have connected the·reset pin 22 of BSp24·to pin1 of 74154 and G1, G2 to ground·in the simulator,· this to me was the only way the project was going to work in Proteus.·
    edited 2005-05-31 04:28
    sorry Chris this file is so big
    4576 x 7664 - 832K
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-05-31 04:44
    replace it with this
    686 x 1150 - 59K
    edited 2005-05-31 16:26
    davids,

·· The effect this has is that each time the first output is activated, it resets the Stamp module...Why would you want to do that?· You can sequence the data back and forth just fine by code.· I guess I don't understand why you're trying to do it this way.· The GOTO at the end of your program will never be executed since the Stamp Module will reset once the count reaches 0.

·· Also, you said the code wouldn't work properly unless P4 was made low, but P4 isn't even connected to anything, so that makes no sense.· There must be something wrong with the simulation.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 5/31/2005 4:30:58 PM GMT
    edited 2005-05-31 23:28
    In the simulator the pins on the Basic Stamp are all set to PASSIVE not Bi directional\input\output like BS2's. Also the code does get to the GOTO command when it finishes a loop through the LED's. For some reason I'm not sure , but like I said before the program wants P4 to either HIGH4 or LOW4. Can't even use INPUT 4 or OUTPUT 4.
    edited 2005-06-01 01:36
    davids,

·· I'm sorry, there is something logically wrong with what's going on here.· According to the schematic & your source code, the Stamp should never see the GOTO, because at the completion of the FOR NEXT loop the Stamp will be reset.· If you tell me what you're trying to do I could explain it better.· But I've never really seen anyone do something like this.· There's no logic, especially with the HIGH/LOW 4 thing.· Nothing is connected to it, so why would that make any difference.· All I can think is there's something wrong with your simulator.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-06-01 06:08
    Sir,

I checked the code agian and watched the code run and you are correct the code never reaches the Goto A thank you and I'm sorry for the confusion.

David