Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
graduating from bs2 homework board — Parallax Forums

graduating from bs2 homework board

tangramkidtangramkid Posts: 9
edited 2005-03-26 19:39 in BASIC Stamp
hey all,

i'm pretty sure this is a well-documented question, but i can't seem to find where. i've been working with a homework board, and i'd like to start keeping projects instead of disassembling them to start new ones. so i'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the basic stamp, once i have the wiring and programming figured out. is the cheaper alternative to the stamp i have to go strait to low-level PICs? The regular BS2 is about the same price as a homework board. is there a cheaper basic stamp that i'm overlooking?

thanks.

Comments

• Robert SchwartzRobert Schwartz Posts: 141
    edited 2005-03-26 03:45
    You can use SX's. With SX/B, the transistion from Stamps to SX's is relatively painless. In a lot of situations, you can use a Basic Stamp 1, which will save money. The OEM version of the basic stamp saves money, but you need to build it.
  • tangramkidtangramkid Posts: 9
    edited 2005-03-26 04:16
    thanks. that's exactly what i needed to know.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-03-26 04:50
    The SX Kit is a good idea - but it will cost you $99 to buy the SX Tech kit Lite (which includes the SX Key Programmer). If you like using the BS2, you could get the BS2 OEM kit (requires soldering) for $30 at www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27291

Using the BS2 OEM, you'll be able to build your circuits on breadboards or solder them on perfboards and then you'll be able to easily move the BS2 OEM from project to project. Breadboard and perfboards are inexpensive - if you search around on the web you'll find them for $5-$10 each.

Lastly, there's an interesting board sold by HVW Technologies that uses a Parallax BASiC Stamp SX interpreter chip. Like the BS2 OEM, it designed to be plugged into a breadboard or perfboard - and it costs $43 in kit form (you'll need to solder it). The advantage of the BASIC SX is it runs 2.5 times faster than the BS2 and it has 8 times the memory.
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-03-26 14:49
    Actually the SX tool kit lite is on special for $89.00 at this link:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=45180
    ·
    The SX tool kit Plus is on special for $99.00 at this link:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=45181

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • tangramkidtangramkid Posts: 9
    edited 2005-03-26 19:39
    yeah i've seen a lot of talk about the SX on the forums. for my purposes, the added speed and memory would probably go unused anyway, so it looks like the BS2 OEM kit is the way to go for me.