Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Snakebot — Parallax Forums

Snakebot

Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
edited 2005-06-04 04:09 in Robotics
Its not as cool as some of the other snakebots Ive seen that can navigate PVC pipe a few inches in diameter, but I came across this link to a snakebot developed by the University of Michigan and thought you guys might be interested in the article.

http://www.umich.edu/news/index.html?Releases/2005/Mar05/r032205b

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-03-31 17:00
    Snake bots are definitely a different kind of mobility. This one feature track drives on all sides. Others that I have seen just bend and flex to create motion.

It seems that they really do better in real world environments of complex obstacles

I have a few motorcycle inner tubes that I have been considering slicing up for rubber track. If one could find the right spool to connect to a motor, a similar snake bot could be built from scratch. A lot of servos or motors in them though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    G. Herzog in Taiwan
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-04-01 02:42
    Try to get your hands on the Robots episode of Modern Marvels.
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Boe-bot: $229

Toddler: $249

Learning Google is your friend: priceless
  • FreezeSukkaFreezeSukka Posts: 41
    edited 2005-06-04 04:09
    Where is a good place to get a similar type and size of tread that is used on that particular snakebot?· I haven't found very many places at all that sells it.· By the way, I'm very new to this forum and have been reading quite a few postings on here and I might add that the one thing that I like, besides being extremely helpful, is that there aren't any derogitory remarks made to, or about newbies on here!· I have become very addicted to this whole "robotic" thing in the past 8 months or so and currently·own both·the WAM and the BOE-Bot. (Newbie!)· Thanks in advance!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    P.S. This is what this part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eliminated.

Post Edited (Jsjga) : 6/4/2005 2:05:06 PM GMT