Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Questions Re: Robot Sonar Beacon — Parallax Forums

Questions Re: Robot Sonar Beacon

bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
edited 2005-03-24 19:06 in Robotics
I’m building a navigation beacon that receives a sonar pulse from, and returns an RF pulse to, my BS2 controlled robot. The beacon will include a receiver ring of eight, 24khz transducers that cover a complete circle. The transducers are from Allelectronics.com, XDR-24, 10 for $10.

The beacon will receive the sonar pulses using a setup like that in ”Basic Stamp I Application Notes: 12: Sonar Rangefinding.” See the receiver in Figure 1. In this example the receiving transducer feeds an op amp followed by an LM567 tone decoder.

Question: Can I simply parallel the eight transducers and feed the two parallel lines into the op amp?

Question: Is the output pin, 8, on the LM567 two state? The chip documentation makes it appear that if the desired signal frequency is input, pin 8 pulls to ground. Does this mean the switching transistor is either grounded or open, and nothing in between? I have seen at least one example where the LM567 was followed by a comparator. (See http://www.leang.com/robotics/info/articles/minison/minison.html) What would be the benefit of this additional stage?