Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
For VB Programmers: A free copy of RealBasic 5.5 — Parallax Forums

For VB Programmers: A free copy of RealBasic 5.5

allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
edited 2005-04-02 14:23 in BASIC Stamp
http://www.realsoftware.com/realbasic/vb6/

Since Microsoft is dropping support for VB6 at the end of this month, REALSoftware is taking this opportunity to offer a free copy of their REALBasic 5.5 'Standard' version to Windows VB6 programmers.· REALBasic makes single EXE files of your program.

Since we get so many questions regarding VB and the BS2, I thought I would take this opportunity to tell people.· RB is normally a $99 license fee, so this is quite a nice opportunity.

Note RB 2005 (the next version) was announced 2/15/2005 for release in 90 days.· The 90 days are not up yet.

There is a 'Pro' version, which adds Mac and Linux executable support, 'external' database support, and Secure Sockets.· But that costs $400.

Comments

• CPUMANCPUMAN Posts: 55
    edited 2005-03-24 18:52
    Thanks for the info!
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-03-25 19:45
    Allan:

Thank you for announcing this on the forum.

By the way, my son and I are experimenting with a PBasic code writing ‘wizard’ using VB 6. We see a need in the classroom for a tool which has a little more capability than the GuiBot software, but also does not require the keyboard skills and knowledge of command syntax as with the Stamp Editor.

The intended audience is students in the middle school/junior high age group. These students would not have had any exposure to programming, electric circuits, or robotics. They are candidates for a SIC series but only want to get exposure to robotics, and have an introduction to the Parallax classes. The students also have access to BoeBots with Appmod boards that are pre-wired to have basic sensors. These students do not see a need to learn electronics, nor are they ready to breadboard circuits.

One option would be to add some Intellisense (Microsoft) features to the Stamp Editor. These features would provide word completion, command options from a dropdown, etc.

A second option would be to enhance GuiBot to make it more configurable. It would be great if it would display the code it was building and allow a student to cut and paste it into the Stamp Editor.

A third option would be to provide a gui based wizard which would build and display code that was similar to the core types of code that are normally found in the SIC books. The wizard code would be viewed on the screen and written directly to the Stamp, or the code could be copied to the Stamp Editor and modified as desired.

I guess that my preference would be to have GuiBot enhanced to be a little more configurable and to have the ability to view the essence of the PBasic code in the Stamp Editor.

If there is anyone who is interested in collaborating with us on this project please let me know.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-03-28 19:57
    Get it while it lasts, it's only good until this Thursday. After that, it goes back up to $99 for 'standard'. How else will you build a stand-alone exe, that ports easily between PC and Macintosh and Linux?
  • rounderrounder Posts: 18
    edited 2005-04-01 21:27
    This offer has been extended 15 days. Everyone should grab a copy of it! As a former programmer turned consultant I was surprised how easy this is to use,I was writing apps to interface with my stamp/ssc in minutes using the internal serial control. The write once and compile for·win/lin/mac(for the most part) is truely awesome. This is also·great for younger·users! Get it while you can!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Is it supposed to smoke like that?
  • ecourtecourt Posts: 13
    edited 2005-04-02 08:30
    I downloaded the program.
    I asked for a validation number.
    I NEVER RECEIVED AN ANSWER.
    I did it twice without answer.
    Perhaps can you send me the validation ?
    Regards
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-04-02 12:52
    They email your registration number to the email address you gave them. I've not had a problem with this.

Oh, and you MUST use this page: http://www.realsoftware.com/realbasic/vb6/index.php

Since they just extended the offer, maybe their auto-responder is not working?
  • GuidoGuido Posts: 195
    edited 2005-04-02 14:23
    They mention that if you have Spam blocker on it will not work....Just Downloaded and got my email. Hope this helps you.

Guido