Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
newbie help — Parallax Forums

newbie help

rob97355usrob97355us Posts: 3
edited 2005-03-26 16:01 in BASIC Stamp
Helllo, i'm really new to the basic stamp world.. i'm trying to interface my homework board to my halloween prop control board to trigger the relays on it.. it has 8 12v dc relays and wel my question is this.. has anyone done anything similar to this and ifso what did you have to do to get it to work right with out buring up the homework board??

thanks in advance,

rob

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-24 04:03
    People do that all the time -- a good friend of mine runs a Halloween prop builders' forum called www.methodzofmadness.com.

The key for running 12v relays is to use a ULN2803 as the interface; you can't connect the BASIC Stamp directly. Download StampWorks from our web site to get the skinny on the ULN2803.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • rob97355usrob97355us Posts: 3
    edited 2005-03-26 06:23
    thank you very much jon, i will do that .. is stamp works also on the cd that came in the kit?

also is it possible to retreave the program off of the basic stamp once programmed? i spent some time settingup a program , sent it to the stamp it worked out just tha way i had wanted it to BUT my computer crashed before i could save it to a file.. [noparse]:([/noparse]

rob
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-03-26 14:39
    Yes, the StampWorks manual is on the Parallax CD under "Documentation".· You will not be able to retrieve your code from the BASIC Stamp.· The only option is that you can purchase EEPROM burner (some what expensive) and copy your code to other EEPROMs.· However, you will not be able to see or alter your code.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • rob97355usrob97355us Posts: 3
    edited 2005-03-26 15:32
    oh well ... guess i will just have to sit down and re program it .. ooops
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-26 16:01
    Yes, "Save early, save often." -- cliche worth living by when it comes to computers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA