Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help? how to input sound data coming from a mic into basic stamp — Parallax Forums

Help? how to input sound data coming from a mic into basic stamp

syntaxerrorsyntaxerror Posts: 2
edited 2005-03-31 10:51 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I have a sound project, thats needs data from the mic. Not sure how would it get into Basic Stamp, maybe a using Max MSP

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-22 16:49
    Can you provide more detail on what a Max MSP is, like a part number, I cannot get any relevant search results since there is an object oriented graphics programming language called Max/MSP or is this what your talking about?

Do you need to aquire the data in real time or not? If so your going to run into problems with aquiring fast enough to produce any sort of fidelity of sound.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-03-22 18:23
    There are old threads on this....and I think the conclusion was, that you couldn't really use the stamp to directly manipulate the sound.· It's not a mixer or a DSP....but you could control a device that manipulates audio.

You could put some stepper motors on some faders and have the stamp monitor voltage peak levels on 2 channels and have it automatically fade over when a certain circumstance arises (programmable).

You can use the stamp as an IR audio switch connect to some solid state relays that would 're-route' audio signals to different devices!!

You might be able to have the stamp monitor a for a given frequency or pulse width that's inherent in a given audio signal (as a tuner...)and display or do something....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • syntaxerrorsyntaxerror Posts: 2
    edited 2005-03-29 06:48
    I'm trying to input live sound data, MAX MSP is a programming language. Inputing sound through MAX MSP is easy, but then transfering it into Stamp through serial is another story. I'm not sure if BASIC STAMP would receive it.

I've done projects where I took live sensor data from Basic Stamp into Max/Msp, but unclear if it works the other way around.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-03-29 17:53
    I'm guessing that MAX MSP digitizes and sends out an equivalent data stream in RS232.
    Certainly the stamp can read RS232 data.· How fast is it coming out?· is it in packets or a constant stream?!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-03-31 10:51
    'Get sound data into a Basic Stamp' seems to imply that you want something with a lot of RAM.

The Basic Stamp is a mirco-controller with a reasonable EEPROM for a controller program, but it isn't a micro-computer or a data buffer.· The amount of audio that you can put into its 'scratch pads' or registers may not be much use to you - unless you merely want a noise to trigger a complex program routine.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    G. Herzog in Taiwan