Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PHP and basic stamp — Parallax Forums

PHP and basic stamp

CarloCarlo Posts: 23
edited 2005-03-18 20:43 in BASIC Stamp
hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could solve this problem.

I would like to write a simple program, possibly using PHP that will send an 8 bit command to the masic stamp throught the serial port. I found a few PHP scripts on the web like this one

http://www.phparch.com/discuss/index.php/m/3312/0/#msg_2994

and this one

http://www.phpfreaks.com/quickcode/code/156.php

but when I try the program it doesn't seem to work. Would anyone know if what I am trying to do is even possible? Or is there some other programming language that I can use that works better? I suggested PHP since I already know how to use it quite well.

Thanks for your help!!

Carlo

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-03-18 16:02
    What doesn't work? It looks fine to me. The first example requires you to set a variable to zero to indicate you want to use the local serial port, and not a TCP/IP socket.

And on the BS2 you need:

SERIN 16, 16684, [noparse][[/noparse]DEC MyByte]· ' This recieves the a '\n'·delimited number string
    PAUSE 100
    SEROUT 16, 16684, [noparse][[/noparse]DEC MyByte]· ' This sends it back.

And you need a DB-9 straight-through cable.
    And you need to set DTR FALSE (leaving it true holds the BS2 in reset).

And you need to know that the BS2 hardware will echo everything you send it, before doing anything else with it.

Post Edited (allanlane5) : 3/18/2005 4:05:07 PM GMT
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 23
    edited 2005-03-18 17:07
    Sorry but I got a bit lost! I am a complete novice with this...

are you using the code which requires the serproxy program? I didn't understand which variable I need to set to zero and is the DB-9 streight-through cable the same one I am using to program the basic stamp?

Please excuse my ignorance!!

Carlo
    edited 2005-03-18 18:03
    Yes, it's the code that has "$serproxy=true".

Set "$serproxy=false", or just cut and paste from the non-serproxy stuff (you don't actually need serproxy, it seems). And yes, the DB-9 cable you use is the same one you used to program the BS2.
    edited 2005-03-18 18:51
    I must be doing something wrong!! I modified and tried the code but it doesn't seem to work. This is the code I have:

for the PHP:

<?php

`mode com4: BAUD=9600 PARITY=N data=8 stop=1 xon=off`;

$fp = fopen ("COM4:", "w+");

if (!$fp) {

echo "Uh-oh. Port not opened.";

} else {

$string = 100;

fputs ($fp, $string );

echo $string;

fclose ($fp);

}

?>

and for the stamp:

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

MyByte VAR Byte

HIGH 2
    SERIN 16, 16684, [noparse][[/noparse]DEC MyByte] ' This recieves the a '\n' delimited number string
    PAUSE 100
    INPUT 2
    SEROUT 16, 16684, [noparse][[/noparse]DEC MyByte] ' This sends it back.

I inserted HIGH 2 and INPUT 2 so that I would see if the program moved on from the SERIN command, I couldn't think about another way to see if it actually worked.
    edited 2005-03-18 19:11
    1. Your line needs to be:

$string = "100\n"; # We want the string value of 100, followed by a CR, in $string
    fputs($fp, $string);

2. Your BS2 program needs to be:

MyByte VAR BYTE

Main:
    HIGH 2
    SERIN 16, 16384, [noparse][[/noparse]DEC MyByte] ' Sorry, I got the constant wrong. Look up SEROUT in the help.
    ' This is 84 for 9600 baud, plus $4000, for Inverted. You need both.
    LOW 2 ' NOT 'Input 2' -- that only makes it float. 'LOW 2' puts a hard zero on the line.
    PAUSE 500
    SEROUT 16, 16384, [noparse][[/noparse]"Got: ", DEC MyByte, CR]
    GOTO MAIN

What this will do is wait in the SERIN until it gets the string, convert the string to a value, put the value into MyByte. It will then drop the P2 pin, then pause 1/2 second (500 milliseconds). Then it wil echo the byte as a string, and do a GOTO Main to do it again. It will 'wait' in the SERIN until the next time.

And I am assuming you are using the BOE, which will let your program run even though you are asserting DTR high.
    ·
    edited 2005-03-18 19:45
    IT WORKS!! You saved me! Thanks a lot!

I hope not to bother you with any more silly problems!

Carlo
    edited 2005-03-18 20:43
    Ah, thanks, you've made my day. I really enjoy it when I can help someone else. Thanks.