Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flash and Basic Stamp - Can they interface? — Parallax Forums

Flash and Basic Stamp - Can they interface?

RightPixeledRightPixeled Posts: 3
edited 2005-03-17 13:34 in BASIC Stamp
Is it possible for Macromedia Flash to receive data from·or send data to the basic stamp either directly or through some other software interface/inbetween?

I am a·dedicated user of flash and would like to be able to extend its capabilities to the basic stamp (directly or indirectly). This is for art and design projects. My first goal is to find out if this is possible and secondly to find out how. I am new to the basic stamp, but enjoy it very much.

Any help, leads or links to answers will be much appreciated.

thanks Bob

Comments

• Robert SchwartzRobert Schwartz Posts: 141
    edited 2005-03-16 23:27
    What would be your purpose/goal in this? Would it be running on a PC with a Stamp interfaced to it, or running solely on othe Stamp?
  • RightPixeledRightPixeled Posts: 3
    edited 2005-03-16 23:40
    A possible senario would be for an interactive project (running on a PC) that would extend beyond the boundaries of the computer. I can't exactly say a specific instance. Very simply to have an led light up or servo to move something in response to the users choice in a flash interactive site.

But yes flash would run on a PC.

Sorry it isn't an engineering type question I am exploring possibilities not necessarily specifics...at least not at the moment.
    edited 2005-03-16 23:42
    I don't know flash myself, do you know if Flash can communicate to the serial port?
  • RightPixeledRightPixeled Posts: 3
    edited 2005-03-16 23:47
    I don't know if Flash can communicate to the serial port, but that is a good lead.

I am in territory that is new to me and maybe getting too far ahead. The flash site may have an answer to that. I need to research this.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-16 23:54
    You'll need access to the serial port as Robert mentioned, I have Macromedia MX on my system, but I really never got into it so I don't know if it can, I have a sneaking suspicion it doesn't have direct access at least through the flash that is incorperated in web pages, the risk of malicious code seems to great, but I certainly could be wrong. One possible work around is if you can access other programs such as a database, you could write another program that would provide the interface between the serial and Flash, it may require you contorting the data into an acceptable format such as SQL.
    edited 2005-03-17 00:04
    Searches on the macromedia page and google showed no good results. As Paul said, Flash being able to access the computer at a hardware level could provide an easy path for more malicious purposes, so I am assuming that it is not possible.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-17 01:23
    Macromedia has a product called Director that does have serial port access, and artistic types have integrated BASIC Stamps into their Director projects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • HoustonDVDHoustonDVD Posts: 9
    edited 2005-03-17 13:34
    You may also check the new macromedia tools for smart devices.· This may allow you to disconnect from the standard pc and control devices remotely.