Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
sending data to the basic stamp via USB — Parallax Forums

sending data to the basic stamp via USB

dcassitdcassit Posts: 1
edited 2005-03-16 16:29 in BASIC Stamp
I am computer engineering student working on a senior design project involving electronic price tags. I purchased the USB version of board of education development kit with the basic stamp 2. Is there a way I can send a string to the stamp via the provided USB port using Visual Studio .net 2003 or C, instead of using the debug terminal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-03-16 05:33
    Yes, you can send data just as you would if you were using the serial port version of the BOE.· Simple open the COM port in Visual Studio or C to the one used by the BOE's USB to Serial chip.· You can find this information when you ID or program the stamp.· Note which port it is found on.· Use that one just like a standard COM port.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • BorisBoris Posts: 81
    edited 2005-03-16 14:18
    It seems like the question "USB + BS" comes up at least once every couple of days. Wouldn't it be easier to make a "sticky" with a nice full detailed explanation of what is possible with USB and what is not.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-16 16:29
    Once the quarter is over (next monday) I will start to collate threads, code examples, schematic examples from the Parallax Forums on an external website. It has become tedious re-answering the same questions 5, 6 times a month. And the broken search engine makes it difficult to relocate the information, so this is going to be my work around, I'll just answer with a link to the catagory on the website.

The Admins want to minimize the number of sticky threads to keep clutter to a minimum, so there's not much hope of them making it sticky.