Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fake Time bomb alarm clock project. — Parallax Forums

Fake Time bomb alarm clock project.

rikniknoknikrikniknoknik Posts: 7
edited 2005-03-17 10:36 in BASIC Stamp
I have recently bought a 16 X 2 lcd from the famous momentumfire that is on ebay. I have read some posts here from a guy that had trouble setting his up so Im sure his post will help to set it up. The project I want to make is an alarm clock in the likeness of the time bomb used by the terrorists of the famous online video game Counterstrike. My question here today is ; is there a way that I can create milliseconds in my lcd? I want to make my alarm clock simple so I will make it to where you can just set the time to countdown to but I dont want just hours , minutes and seconds. I would like to have hours , minutes , seconds, and milliseconds. Can I do this? Get bak to me. Thanks-Riknik

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-03-15 13:22
    1. You can display milliseconds if you want to, but you won't be able to 'count' in milliseconds -- the BS2 doesn't have a clock you can get to that runs that fast, nor can you update the LCD that fast.

2. #1 doesn't matter that much -- you can't SEE a millisecond, anyway. Even if you did it completely accurately, the millisecond display would be changing so fast it would be a blur. The 100's of milliseconds you could probably do and see. Conclusion: You'll probably have to 'fake' together a millisecond display, but that accuracy doesn't matter that much anyway.

3. Making a bomb-look-alike is a very dangerous thing to do. You never know when someone will see it and take it seriously. If this is for April Fools, its like yelling Fire in a crowded auditorium. More people can get hurt than the "joke" is worth.

4. If you really want accurate 'wall-clock-time', use a DS1302 for the hours-minutes-seconds. Parallax sells a kit with the chip and the exact crystal you need. Convert it to count-down in software.
  • rikniknoknikrikniknoknik Posts: 7
    edited 2005-03-17 10:36
    Hmmm.