Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ds1620 and applied sensors — Parallax Forums

Ds1620 and applied sensors

Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
edited 2005-03-19 19:13 in BASIC Stamp
Howdy all!
I am finally getting around with playing with the 1620, and am going through the Applied Sensors S.I.C. Module. I have done a search on this forum, but did not have any luck finding an answer to my problem, so if I missed something please forgive!
I set the chip to condition 2 just like in the book (at least I think so), and I know I have the chip wired to power, ground and signal correctly (brown black red on resistor=1K for signal line). However when I read the temp. coming from the chip, the debug window displays 254 coming from the chip, which divided by 2 gives me a temp of 127 deg C. I know this isnt right because I feel quite comfortable in my computer room. Does anyone know what I could have possibly done to screw up this simple program?

I can post my program if someone wishes, but it is a duplicate to the Applied sensors program (pretty darn sure, I checked it several times).

Thanks in advance-
Shawn Lowe

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Shawn Lowe

Remember - No matter where you go
There you are.

Comments

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-03-10 16:26
    It might help if you post the code. There may be some little typo.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • NateNate Posts: 154
    edited 2005-03-10 17:26
    Check·the DS1620·Gnd (pin #4).· Either it is not connected to directly to Vss or you are using a wicked long wire.
  • Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2005-03-15 01:13
    Hi -
    I made sure that pin 4 is going to Vss, pin 8 to Vdd with a 104 cap going to Vss
    Attached is my program.
    I am using the small jumper wires that came with the WAM kit.

Shawn Lowe

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

There you are.
  • The Dead BugThe Dead Bug Posts: 73
    edited 2005-03-15 03:54
    If the code you posted is complete, you used two commands that have undeclared aliases:

SHIFTOUT 15,14,LSBFIRST,[noparse][[/noparse]238]
    SHIFTOUT 15,14,LSBFIRST,[noparse][[/noparse]170]
    SHIFTIN 15,14,LSBPRE, [noparse][[/noparse]x]

The names LSBFIRST and LSBPRE are names or "aliases" that represent numbers. These numbers need to be declared as constants along with your variables at the top of the program.

In the Stamp Manual www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/stamps/BasicStampMan2_0.pdf you will find an explanation of the use of SHIFTIN and SHIFTOUT.

Where you used LSBFIRST in the two lines I copied here, you can substitute the number 0.

Where you used LSBPRE, you can substitute the number 1.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Name: Bruce Clemens

Work:· Clemensb@otc.edu
    Good Stuff on my Blog: http://theDeadBug.journalspace.com
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-03-15 04:21
    The Dead Bug said...
    If the code you posted is complete, you used two commands that have undeclared aliases:
    SHIFTOUT 15,14,LSBFIRST,[noparse][[/noparse]238]
    SHIFTOUT 15,14,LSBFIRST,[noparse][[/noparse]170]
    SHIFTIN 15,14,LSBPRE, [noparse][[/noparse]x]
    The names LSBFIRST and LSBPRE are names or "aliases" that represent numbers. These numbers need to be declared as constants along with your variables at the top of the program.
    Actually those are reserved keyword modifiers (MODE) for the SHIFTIN/SHIFTOUT commands and work without being declared.· If you check the example for the SHIFTOUT command in the online help file it will illustrate.
    ·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • The Dead BugThe Dead Bug Posts: 73
    edited 2005-03-15 04:23
    Oops...Thanks, I learned something tonight [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Bruce

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Name: Bruce Clemens

Work:· Clemensb@otc.edu
    Good Stuff on my Blog: http://theDeadBug.journalspace.com
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-03-15 04:25
    One way to tell reserved/keywords (If you have the V2.x Stamp Software) is to watch for words that are automatically highlighted and capitalized.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-03-15 05:33
    Cool- I learned something too!
    Does anybody else see something wrong?? Perhaps ( I doubt it ) I have a dead chip??

Thanks for the time and input

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

There you are.
    edited 2005-03-16 17:38
    Just rethreading this post to see if anyone has an idea of what could be going wrong.

Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

There you are.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-03-18 03:22
    Hi Shawn,

I don't see anything wrong with the program code you posted.

Maybe the chip isn't in mode 2 for some reason? I know you ran the program that is supposed to store the mode in the DS1620 eeprom.

Just to be sure, add the mode setting command to your program just after your label, "Main:".

Main:
    HIGH 13 ' Tells the DS1620 that a command is coming.
    SHIFTOUT 15, 14, LSBFIRST, [noparse][[/noparse]12,2] ' Command to set DS1620 configuration 2.
    LOW 13 ' Completes the command cycle.
    HIGH 13 'TELLS DS1620 COMMAND COMING
    PAUSE 100
    SHIFTOUT 15,14,LSBFIRST,[noparse][[/noparse]238] 'COMMAND 1620 TO START CONVERSIONS
    LOW 13 'TELLS 1620 DONE WITH COMMAND
    ' and so on into the DO loop...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2005-03-19 19:13
    Tracy (or Jon Williams)-
    I have entered and downloaded the program that came with the spec sheet from parallax. I am now getting 0 deg celcius and 32 deg F. I thought maybe the resistor isnt getting good contact and the stamp wasent recieving data so I threw in code that lit an LED after the shiftin command. I lights so the shiftin is completing. I am kind of baffled. Do you or anybody know if you can recieve these chip DOA? Are they possible really static sensitive? I wasnt abusive with the chip, put I didnt have a static strap on when installing it either. Should I order a new one? They are fairly cheap, so I could do that.

Attached is the new program running.

Thanks for the help

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Shawn Lowe

There you are.