Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
STAMP Run toy — Parallax Forums

STAMP Run toy

InteractivesInteractives Posts: 83
edited 2005-03-10 02:07 in BASIC Stamp
Hello smart people, my boss has come to me with yet another idea: She came in with two blocks· that have half of a picture on each of the six sides of the cubes. When you line up the correct parts of the picture, the cubes make a sound.( You line up the two parts of a car, and it makes a car sound) The way these were manufactured is fairly simple. They have rivets on the outside of he cubes, and when you are holding the blocks correctly, the rivets touch, complete the circuit, and trigger the sound. It's pretty cool, but all those rivets look pretty frumpy. I was thinking the same effect could be accomplised using magnets and reed switches, hidden beneath the surface of the blocks. However, I happen to know a certain STAMP that is pretty sensitive to EMI! How far do you think the magnets should be from the STAMP to ebb interferance/ destruction? I'm open to any ideas on how to make this work. It seems like a fun project.

Comments

• The Dead BugThe Dead Bug Posts: 73
    edited 2005-03-09 15:47
    Interactives wrote:

However, I happen to know a certain STAMP that is pretty sensitive to EMI!

I'm curious because I have seen no specs with regard to Stamps and EMI. Are there specs somewhere? Have you had some EMI related issues? I would expect (just from my own experience) that the Stamp would be pretty safe in the company of magnets that were simply asked to trigger a reed switch. Massive magnetic fields won't be necessary.

This does seem like a fun project.
    Bruce

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Name: Bruce Clemens

Work:· Clemensb@otc.edu
    Good Stuff on my Blog: http://theDeadBug.journalspace.com
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-09 18:58
    I don't know where you got the idea the BASIC Stamp is sensitive to EMI -- I've used it in all sorts of horrendously harsh conditions without problems. Magnets do not generate EMI -- fields yes, but they won't be moving (vis-a-vis the Stamp) and I don't think they're going to cause you any problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-03-09 19:05
    if you use reed switches and magnets....the only thing that might cause EMI would be the make/break of the switches....but if they're only 5volts then it's a non-issue!

Why not go with opto's!!· You could put little LEDs in the cubes that are part of the image (LEDs for eyes) and when that part comes together with it's "mate" then those LEDs would trigger a photocell on the otherside.

To avoid false triggers on the photocell from ambient light.· Have a photocell on each panel that doesn't mate with an LED and that would indicate whether it was being covered (by it's mate's side) or open to ambient!

This might require two stamps or at least 2 battery's (as you have LEDs in both cubes that need to be powered)....so you might look at "light-pipes".
    Basically you'd line an LED up to one end of a light pipe on it's Mates surface.· That lightpipe goes in to the cube and curves to come out another spot on it's surface.· In line with that end of the pipe would be a photocell.· So, you could have all the 'powered' items in one cube and just light pipes in the other!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • InteractivesInteractives Posts: 83
    edited 2005-03-09 20:04
    O.K.- apparently I have been misinformed about the STAMP and magnetic sensitivity. There are no specs that I know of - apparently due to the fact that it is a non- issue.·Which is great to hear!·As far as the·led idea, that would be a great way to do it as well, but unfortunately I have a team of rabid designers that would prefer·not to see anything but their own graphics on the surface of the blocks.·Plus I think that I would have to have power in both blocks if I went that route, where as I think I can get away with having only magnets in one block, which is good from a maintenance stand point.
    edited 2005-03-09 20:10
    the light pipes I was referring to are basic fiber optics....You might be able to use IR with them....and still only have power in one cube.

just a neat Idea I thought!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-09 20:31
    Another alternative to a reed switch is to use a hall effect sensor. They shouldn't be as much of an EMI source and they are solid state, therefore more reliable. Heres a link with a motion graphic showing its operation, http://www.melexis.com/relinfo_detail.asp_Q_id_E_68

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 3/9/2005 8:37:03 PM GMT
    edited 2005-03-09 20:41
    Do you think that a hall effect sensor would stand up better to kids throwing these things around? Because I think thats the hardest aspect of this project. Kids have a force of destruction like no other.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-09 20:54
    I think it probably would be, it would definately be better than the glass encapsulated reed switches, but even with a plastic encapsulated reed switch, I can envision a scenario where a kid would drop or throw the toy with sufficient force to either bend the internal reeds or get them to interlock, akin to what they do with cheap scissors by forcing them past thier closed point. Of course the best avenue is to embed each in a structure similar to the blocks you'll be using and throw them around the office and test thier function afterwards. Even if you find both solutions will work, when do you get the opportunity to chuck things around at work without getting in trouble?
    edited 2005-03-09 21:06
    You guys are the greatest! I really appreciate all the help I've gotten here, and I'm definitely going to go to my boss and tell her that the consensus of engineers agree that I must throw blocks around for the good of the children!
    ·
    lol.gif
    edited 2005-03-09 21:06
    NERF!!·

either pot the inside with spongie material or the outside....or both!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    edited 2005-03-09 21:13
    NERF, thats a great idea, I get to throw blocks and order nerf balls for the shop. My life is great. Do you guys have any suggestions as far as light weight long lasting bateries? The cost is not really an issue (not my money) and it would kind of suck to have to change the batteries on a weekly basis.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-03-10 02:07
    Lithium batteries are very light, have good capacity and keep there voltage until they completely die.
    They are about the best for light loads. (That's low current loads, not loads that generate light).
    You can get AA's and 9Volts at most department stores (wal-mart ect.).
    They advertise these as lasting 10 years in smoke detectors...

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out· the "SX-Video Display Module"

www.sxvm.com
    ·