Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
stamp modem — Parallax Forums

stamp modem

coorscoors Posts: 28
edited 2006-11-03 14:27 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I want to be able to dial a phone number using the BS2e.· I know that there is a DTMFOUT command in the manual.· It also includes a circuit Figure 5.3 which is to integrate the controller to a phone line.· My question is: Will this circuit in the manual work to dial a phone number? I just need the phone to ring, I don't need it to make any sounds if someone answers or anything extra.· I just want it to make the phone on the other end ring a couple of times.

Another option I was looking at was the basic stamp modem which parallax sells.· I would like to know if this modem would work to dial a telephone number and just make it ring?· I don't need it to send any information.·
If it is possible is there any sample code to make this work?

I just want to be able to alert myself whenever the controller is triggered to dial.

Thanx

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-03-07 20:24
    I believe there is a command you can give the Stamp Modem to 'not connect' when the other side goes off-hook. The effect then would be to let you dial the other end, have the phone ring, and when the other end picked up nothing would happen. (If you didn't give the command, the Stamp Modem would start issuing those annoying 'connection' noises)

The Stamp Modem has the benefit that it is a licensed device guaranteed not to lock-up your phone line.
  • upand_at_themupand_at_them Posts: 61
    edited 2005-03-07 20:30
    The only thing you have to do to get a dial-tone phone to dial another phone is to play the DTMF tones for that phone number.· You can even record the sounds on a tape recorder and play them over the speaker of a phone and it behaves the same way.· The Stamp is generating these audio tones via software.

So, yes, DTMFOUT plus the circuit to interface to a phone line will dial other phones.

Mike

·
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-07 20:53
    Have a look at this article: http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol2/col/nv60.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-03-07 21:57
    If you don't need a small footprint....go hunting for old external modems!

My work used to use them for lots of remote work and have a surplus of them.· You can talk to them via RS232 (stamps do this well) and it's certified (FCC) for phone lines!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • coorscoors Posts: 28
    edited 2005-03-08 20:17
    thanks for the quick and informative responses.·

So I understand that the DTMFOUT command along with the circuit in the manual will work.· I also understand that the stamp modem will work for it as well, and the article even gives a code for dialing a pager which is pretty cool.· And an old external modem will also work.

I'm leaning towards the stamp modem due to the code available as well as the fact that it can be connected to the phone line with little problem.
  • PHM102PHM102 Posts: 27
    edited 2006-11-03 10:08
    Hi there, sorry to hijack ur topic but i am also doing a project using the DTMFOUT. We followed the circuit shown on the manual however it did not work. We can hear that pluse tones is generated in the background but the circuit does not call. (As in the calling party phone did not ring) Is there any guidelines whereby we can follow to troubleshoot?

DTMFOUT 0, 500, 100, [noparse][[/noparse]9, 3, 3, 8, 2, 5, 9, 9] 'Our country uses 8 digits

P.S: We did not connect the sidactor as we were told that it was not needed (Unless there is a power surge)

Thanks in advance

Regards,
    Gavin
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-11-03 14:27
    Please create your own thread. The thread you have 'joined' was from March, 2005. If this thread does not answer your question (as it appears it does not) then you have your own problem, which deserves its own thread.