Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Automotive Temp Sensor - Sensiron — Parallax Forums

Automotive Temp Sensor - Sensiron

DShannonDShannon Posts: 26
edited 2005-03-07 20:22 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All,
any suggestions on to where mount an external ambient air temp sensor on my vehicle? Looking for the optimum location to give the most accurate reading.

Was thinking about the trunk, but would imagine that in the summer time the trunk temp would exceed the actual ambient air temp. Under the hood is not an option due to engine temp.

Any thoughts? Thought I would get everyone's ideas...

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-03-07 18:37
    By the front grille of the car, where fresh air is streaming into the car (un-affected yet by engine heat, in theory) would be a good place. Direct sunlight might skew the readings -- but good air flow should take care of that. Note that something getting cooled below air temperature doesn't happen, unless something like water is on the device which evaporates and cools it further.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-03-07 18:39
    You won't find an 'accurate' place anywhere....as you'll either be park on hot asphalt or moving through the air....so your readings will fluctuate.

I've seen ppl put them up behind the grill....close to the headlights.· It's a relative value....not accurate at all!

You would either need a radiation/heat shield· (with louvre's) with a small fan motor blowing a continuous rated amount of air.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2005-03-07 20:17
    allanlane5 said...
    By the front grille of the car, where fresh air is streaming into the car (un-affected yet by engine heat, in theory) would be a good place.
    And that is the same location most automobile manufacturers mount the device when the vehicle is equipped with an ambient air temp sensor.
  • upand_at_themupand_at_them Posts: 61
    edited 2005-03-07 20:22
    My Volkswagen had it mounted under the front bumper.