Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stupid Newbie Trick — Parallax Forums

Stupid Newbie Trick

CharlieCCharlieC Posts: 14
edited 2005-03-05 17:31 in BASIC Stamp
I am new to microcontrollers, bought the homework board and the 16 channel servo controller, but found that the docs show how to hook up the BOE but not the homework board.· Has anybody done this?· I was told that I need three power sources but am still unclear on exactly how they are connected.

Please be gental as I am microcontroller challanged.

Charlie

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-03-05 05:18
    I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure you can use that controller with your Homework board. Check out Chapter 4 in your 'What's a Micontroller' book (which you probably got with your Homework board). If not, you can download the 'What's a Micontroller' book here www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/siccurriculum/documentation_sic_curriculum.asp

Chapter 4 show's you how to connect a single servo to the Homework board - and I'm pretty sure you connect the controller board the same way. You'll probably need more power to drive more than 1 servo - so I suggest building a small +5V power supply using a 9 volt battery and a 7805 regulator as shown here www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/psu_5v.html

Be sure and connect the grounds (Vss) of the Homework board and your external +5V power supply together.

Post Edited (Forrest) : 3/5/2005 5:38:47 AM GMT
  • rounderrounder Posts: 18
    edited 2005-03-05 06:02
    You only need 2 power sources, 1 is obvious a 9 volt battery on the homework board. The SSC needs 2 power sources, 1 comes from the homework board via the cable included with the ssc, the other you have to provide. For getting started a simple 4 AA battery holder will suffice. Plug this in on the appropriate place on the ssc, read on for hookup and some pics.

Hooking up the ssc to the homework board is easy. Make 3 short jumper wires to hookup signal,positive (Vdd), negative (Vss)·and if you don't have a little 3 pin header to plug a servo wire into a breadboard, make 3 shorties to plug a servo end into breadboard.

Run the cable from the ssc over to your breadboard(using shorty jumpers or header to attach to breadboard), use the 3 jumpers you made to provide signal, the ssc doc uses pin 15, and vdd and vss. It is important to hookup to Vdd and NOT Vin. Hookup your servos, watch how you hook them up, white is signal for parallax servos. I just happened to have some pics of your exact setup I took recently while documenting a project. Hope it helps!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Is it supposed to smoke like that?

Post Edited (rounder) : 3/5/2005 6:44:16 AM GMT
    640 x 480 - 60K
    640 x 480 - 61K
    640 x 480 - 59K
  • CharlieCCharlieC Posts: 14
    edited 2005-03-05 15:18
    You guys are champs!!· Thanks a lot.

Forrest, I tried the way they had in the book, but for some reason I couldn't make it work.· I think I may not have had a common ground.· Thanks a lot for responding, though.

Rounder:· Your pictures did the trick.· It worked like a charm. Thank you.··

Now for a follow up question:· Is there a good· reference for PBASIC?· I have been a software developer for many years, so I shouldn't have too much trouble if I can find a good (read complete) reference.

Thanks again.

burger.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Charlie Chisholm

Lunch will set you free!!
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-03-05 16:56
    Charlie,

Parallax's download area has a wealth of documentation and application notes. There is also all the Nuts & Volts articles available for download. These are all in PDF form.

I don't have The Homework Board, so I don't know what comes with it, but the full Basic Stamp Manual is available at:

www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/basicstamps/documentation_basic_stamp.asp

Jim
  • CharlieCCharlieC Posts: 14
    edited 2005-03-05 17:31
    Jim,
    Thanks. I am off to check it out now. This is starting to get exciting.
    Charlie

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Charlie Chisholm

Lunch will set you free!!