Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
help on a new project in integrating a pressure, gas concentration and temperat — Parallax Forums

help on a new project in integrating a pressure, gas concentration and temperat

FrogmanFrogman Posts: 1
edited 2005-03-05 03:31 in BASIC Stamp
The project: I need to build a simple device/interface that can read the outputs of an analog gas concentration sensor, a digital pressure sensor and an analog or digital temperature sensor. This device will then be connected to a pda via its serial interface. The pda would act as a real-time gui front end of the readings of the sensors. I would be using
NSbasic, Appforge or other development tool for the pda to make the necessary interface.
Though I have developed programs before for pda's (palm & pocketpc), I havent had any experience with integrating the pdas with external devices. When it comes to electronics, I would say that I am just a hobbyist, but will be willing to learn with your guidance. Could someone point me out to the right direction?

the sensors:
pressure sensor http://www.intersema.com/site/technical/ms5535.php
oxygen sensor http://www.oxygenanalyzer.com/AI-Specs.htm (PSR-11-39-JD / JD1 / JD2)
temperature - any would do

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-03-05 00:44
    That stamp will certainly do those things....but some extra circuitry might be needed!· nothing too serious...but an Analog to Digital Converter would be add-on.· Depending on the resolution you need, I'd recommend the LTC1298...I think you can connect 4 sensors to it.

what you really need to know is 'what does each sensors output look like'.· Based on these answers, you'll know how to 'bring them in' to the stamp!

that stamp will then let you do some straightforward number crunching and then you can send them out in an RS232 format (but a MAX232 level converter chip would be a nice to have).· Then it's up to you to do what you want with your PDA....this is totally out of my realm.· But if you have a terminal program on your PDA, you'll see the "stamp data string" that you are sending to the PDA.·

You'll have to go from there....

Now, if you haven't used a stamp before....let me say that you'll do yourself a big favor by taking some 'babysteps'...and one way to do this is to go to the Parallax website and downloading the "What's a Microcontroller" text.· It's a free download and has all sorts of lessons on programming and interfacing switches....LEDs....sensors to the stamp.· The more you know about your setup, then the better questions you can ask when you have a problem...also, you'll be able to troubleshoot your gear smartly before having to post here!

There are also a number of 'NUTZ&VOLTZ' articles on the site with some columns on the stamp and associated setups (sensors/etc..).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • bottomgunbottomgun Posts: 26
    edited 2005-03-05 03:31
    Frogman,
    Looks like you are working on a rebreather for diving. Have you picked a solenoid valve yet for regulating oyxgen levels?
    Respectfully,
    Jay K. Jeffries

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries