Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to monitor voltage ? — Parallax Forums

How to monitor voltage ?

lightsoutlightsout Posts: 22
edited 2005-03-03 15:23 in BASIC Stamp
I'm still a novice !!
I would like to know how to monitor voltage such as 1-100 vdc both in terms of hardware and code. Thank you.(I did search the forums first but, couldn't find it)

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-03-03 15:23
    Do you want know when a certain threshold has been reached?!· or do you want to know the actual voltage at any time!?

An A/D converter would be one thing that might work...but you'd have to scale it down.· And with 100Vdc I'd look to some isolation (optoisolators)!

You could use either a simple voltage divider for the scaling or an op-amp.· This is where the experimenting comes in to it...which might work better.

As far as the code goes....look up some of the Nutz&Voltz articles off the Parallax webpage (downloads section I believe).· There is an article in there about someone using a photocell and an LED across a battery terminal to determine the voltage on the battery.

I attached the PDF of the article (I think it's the right one)....
    Read thru the "What's A Microcontroller" text too!· It's a free download from the parallax site.· Good beginner material in there!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."