Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Two Stamps — Parallax Forums

Two Stamps

fzeitgeistfzeitgeist Posts: 20
edited 2005-03-03 15:47 in BASIC Stamp
Hi everyone.. I seem to have run out of space on my BS2p40 and then I read this NUTS AND VOLTS column where you could integrate two stamps. The slave program mentioned in the column only displays time in hours[noparse]:mins:[/noparse] secs using the ds1302 but no date. Is there a way to implement it to display the date which the user can chag=nge using the master basic stamp. I am attching the codes for the master and slave which is also available on the parallax website.

Here is the column: http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol3/col/nv81.pdf

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-03-03 06:22
    fzeitgeist -

You've used up all 8 banks of 2K/bank of programming space? If so, that's one huge program. Presuming that you haven't used up all the programming space in all 8 program slots, you may want to take a look at Nuts & Volts Colum 87 available from here:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/nvcolumns/Nuts_Volts_Downloads_V3.asp

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • fzeitgeistfzeitgeist Posts: 20
    edited 2005-03-03 08:26
    Hi. OK, this is confusing...i see 2 programs in this column. how r they running simultaneously?
    edited 2005-03-03 08:44
    fzeitgeist -

In one sentence - they aren't. They run concurrently or serially; one then the other. Another way to view it is to envision parts of your program as subroutines, and those subroutines cleverly exist in another part of memory. Here is another reference which may shed some additional light on this whole idea:
    http://www.emesystems.com/BS2SX.htm

Thanks to Tracy Allen for his excellent applications snotes.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • fzeitgeistfzeitgeist Posts: 20
    edited 2005-03-03 09:01
    ok.. so basically these r two seperate programs and the $stamp command tells which bank is to be assigned to the porgram. so i just have to create these programs as differnet .bs2 files and download it to the stamp one at a time? and if i am not wrong.. it won't over write the previous programs.
    edited 2005-03-03 09:30
    fzeitgeist -

Two or more (up to eight) program banks are available for your use, each of which can contain a separate and distinct set of programming instructions. The last link I offered will even show you how you can communicate between program banks if that is a requirement.

Indeed, the $STAMP directive indicates which program is assigned to which program bank, and yes they are separate .BSX, or .BSP files, as appropriate. They needn't be dowloaded "one at a time" as you put it, since they can all coexsist within the Stamp Editor at the same time. However, they CAN be downloaded or manipulated by the Stamp Editor separately. I hope that's not confusing. It's only intended to show that the Stamp Editor is quite flexible in this regard, and that the $STAMP directive is the key to it all.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-03 15:47
    There's a lot of mixing of apples and oranges here, and as I wrote the column in question, let me see if I can clear things:

When using two different Stamp modules connected with a serial link the programs are in fact running at the same time. That's what's going on in the column referenced.

When using one of the multi-bank Stamp modules (BS2e, BS2sx, BS2p, BS2pe) you can have multiple programs on the same module (each program lives in its own memory bank) but ONLY ONE program runs at any given time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA