Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Noob question about controller differences — Parallax Forums

Noob question about controller differences

CDCD Posts: 3
edited 2005-03-03 16:10 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to get into working with MC's more. I am in school and we currently use the Motorola HC11. I have looked through Jameco and found a LAB-X1 experimenter's board which looks interesting. I have also seen the Parallax experiment (BOE) boards which I like.·I am still new to all of this and don't really know which direction to go. I woul;d like to know the pros and cons of each board I listed, and how difficult it is to incorporate parallax items with other items etc. As I said I am a newbie and may be making this more difficult than it really is.

Comments

• kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2005-03-02 23:07
    My personal opinion:
    As a beginner I would much prefer using a basic stamp. there is tons of documentation.
    these fine forums and alot of info on how to get started.
    Also they are very easy to use.
    Programming wise they use a FREE basic ide which is very easy to use and has lots of help files and examples.
    Hardware wise you can do just about anything you can think of (except real high speed stuff) and integrating the devices too it is fairly easy as well.
    then once you get a good hold on the stamps it will be much easier to understrand the PICs SX's AVRs HCs ect
    again this is my opinion check out the parallax web site for yourself

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-03-02 23:25
    I second that...

I have done some development work myself, and well...
    This is just the easiest system I've ever used.

If you later feel you need something 'more', Parallax have two nice ways to go, the Javelin which is programmed in Java and is pin-compatible with the BS2, and the SX tools.

Of course, you've already found the number one reason to go with the stamp, this forum.

smile.gif
  • m_fabio2m_fabio2 Posts: 49
    edited 2005-03-03 00:26
    I used a Motorola HC-11 back at college. I hated. I love the stamp. Its so much easier to work with. With the speed of the stamp versus the HC-11, they are almost equal. (Not too much difference between 2MHZ and 5 MHZ when doing simple functions).
    ·
  • CDCD Posts: 3
    edited 2005-03-03 01:27
    Cool. Thanks for your help guys. The B-Day is coming up and I wanted to order a kit, but didn't know which I should get. I'm gonna get the special which comes with the board and a learning kit. Any other kits you recommend?
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-03-03 04:04
    I'd start with the What's a Microcontroller. Perhaps that's what you meant. From there, it would depend on what your interests are and what direction you want to head. I'm trying to learn the hardware development side of it and went with the Understanding Signals and Basic Analog and Digital courses. You can always download the text for the different programs and go through it to see which one(s) you want to use.

Jim
    edited 2005-03-03 04:06
    Whats a Microcontroller
    "WAM"

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28152 $65
    great to start off with

link to Stamps un class
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/edu/index.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ
  • CDCD Posts: 3
    edited 2005-03-03 13:50
    I actually ordered What's a Microcontroller and Understanding Signals and Basic Analog and Digital, and the board of course.
    edited 2005-03-03 16:10
    that a great start you should have alot of fun and learn alot with those kits

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ