Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Multiple power supplies: newbie — Parallax Forums

Multiple power supplies: newbie

InteractivesInteractives Posts: 83
edited 2005-03-03 15:12 in BASIC Stamp
Hello smart people, I'm somewhat new to this crazy world of forum posting, so please bear with me. I've been assigned to construct a device that, when triggered by a push button, starts a series of lights, each with different DC voltages, that will stay on for a few seconds, and then turn off. Sounds easy, right? Well... I've read enough to know that I need to run each light off of a transistor- relay coupling. My question is: the pushbutton is running active high from VDD (5V)- is there enough power in the stamps 5V output to run the 4 relays I need to trigger from the VDD as well? I'm assuming that I would hook up these four relays in parallel, so that the voltage remains 5V at each transistor- relay point. The tricky thing is that each relay will fire in series- relay one goes on, stays on, then relay two goes on.. etc. Does this mean that the power consumed will be increasing in increments, slowly killing the stamp? I guess the other option for me is having a isolated power source for the relays- but I've already got like 5 or so isolated power source for the lights the relays will be running. It 's getting ridiculous with all these crazy power sources!! Please help. Me no smart.

Comments