Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Object code???????? — Parallax Forums

Object code????????

MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
edited 2005-03-02 02:54 in BASIC Stamp
I was looking through the Basic Stamp Editor, and found that you can generate object code.confused.gif How do you use object code??? I don't like to press buttons without knowing what they do.
bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Geordi: "It's like the laws of physics went right out the window!"
Q: "And why shouldn't they, they're so inconvenient!"

Geordi LaForge, Chief Engineer, USS Enterprise, NCC 1701-D
Q, Omnipotent Prankster

Comments

• Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2005-03-02 02:52
    Bugg,

Object code is the result of a compile. When you press F9, the IDE compiles the PBASIC source code into object code and that code is then automatically loaded up to the Stamp. What you don't see is the object phase of it.

There is a program which can be run to upload an object file to a Stamp without having the source or the IDE. Why do that? Well, for commercial products you usually don't want to disclose your source code, but you have to update a device at a remote location. To do that, you produce the object code from the IDE, then ship the object code and loader program to a customer and they run it on a PC connected via a serial link. This is basically what you do if you flash a new version of the BIOS in your computer. There is an option which will actually generate a combined loader executable and object into one program. You just run that one program and it's done.

Go ahead and give it a whirl.

Jim
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-03-02 02:54
    Thank you! I don't know why, but I'm scared of finding the self-destruct button.
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Geordi: "It's like the laws of physics went right out the window!"
    Q: "And why shouldn't they, they're so inconvenient!"

Geordi LaForge, Chief Engineer, USS Enterprise, NCC 1701-D
    Q, Omnipotent Prankster