Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 SEROUT freeze when Hyperterminal connects to com port — Parallax Forums

BS2 SEROUT freeze when Hyperterminal connects to com port

AmnoidAmnoid Posts: 11
edited 2005-03-03 22:08 in BASIC Stamp
Apologies if this has been dealt with in the past- but the forum search does not seem to work.

A BS2 connected to a PC is programmed to send a strem of data. The data fills the buffer and can be seen when hyperterminal connetcs to the COM port, but when it is conneted to the COM port, the BS2 stops sending. When Hypertierminal is disconnected, the BS2 resumes sending. The serout comman is basic and simple. Any ideas where to look for the problem.

Thanks

Comments

• kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2005-03-01 23:20
    out of curiosity how do you know that it starts back up (sending) after you disconnect? once connected did you do a reset on the stamp to see if it fires back up?· If you have any other info on you connections code ect it would br great.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-01 23:36
    Probably because Hyperterminal is reseting (and holding it in reset)·the BASIC Stamp via the ATN line -- which I'm betting is a direct connection on your board (not via caps like on our programming boards). I'm not sure if Hyperterminal lets you set the state of the DTR pin; if it does, change it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
  • AmnoidAmnoid Posts: 11
    edited 2005-03-02 19:18
    I found the problem- and unless I missunderstand something very basic, then the documentation is problematic. On the one hand we have the SEROUT help page under the pbasic windows IDE. It shows how to connect to a DB9 serial connector (i.e add a resistor to the SERIN line etc).. Then we have the BS2 schematic pdf which shows something different (i.e. use 0.1uF capacitors on pins 3 and 4 of the BS2 and shows no use of the resistor at all). THIS is what was missing. Once that was done- all worked well. So what is the story?
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-03-02 21:15
    There is no issue -- the version that uses the resistor is for standard IO pins, hence they need protection (the resistor provides this). You're using the programming port (which has level shifters on the SOUT an SIN pins), and the connection of the Stamp's ATN line directly to the PC's DTR line can be a problem, especially with Hyperterminal.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-03-03 06:31
    I understand- thanks. But I still think that the documentation should be clearer on this.
  • kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2005-03-03 12:37
    If you look in the basic stamp manual (link below) you will see that it is well documented
    that there is a difference between program wiring and serin/serout wiring
    pages:
    30-programing
    390-sein
    409-serout
    (pdf pages not manual pages)

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/stamps/BasicStampMan.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ
    edited 2005-03-03 21:24
    Thanks. But I still stand by my criticism of the parallax decumentation- if they have an IDE and it has an online help document- then it too must be able to make this clear. This is not a complicated issue- just one more sentence would have sufficed.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-03-03 22:08
    don't be too critical!· Just let them know and they are pretty good about taking care of things!

Just look at the rest of their documentation...they're GREAT with support and associated text....you can't find many other companies willing to give access to these resources for free!!

And if you have questions....post them here and there are many minds to help you out!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://ca.geocities.com/steve.brady@rogers.com/index.html
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."