Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Infered BS2 Controller using a PDA — Parallax Forums

Infered BS2 Controller using a PDA

anameaname Posts: 2
edited 2005-02-28 23:14 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

·I wish to create an IR controller using my palm pilot as the remote to control my BS2, I.E wireless robot. I heard that it is possible, but cannot find any information regarding it. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can go about doing this, or has done it before or knows someone that·can lend my some programs to do this it would be appricated.

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-02-28 16:55
    I'm sure there are a few programming languages for the Palm, such as Basic or C you can download, that should allow you to send
    Serial data to the IR port. You will more than likely need to write the code specific to your Stamp application on the Palm itself in
    whatever language you choose. Once that is in place, it becomes a simple matter of getting a "Sharp IR receiver module" or equiv.
    ( I'm not sure what the flavor of choice is now days for an IR receiver.) and simply connect it to your Stamp and "listen" for any
    valid "IR chatter". You should probably include a SYNC or ID byte in your data transmission from the Palm as to not confuse
    your robot with other IR remotes such as a TV remote or similar.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-02-28 17:14
    Joe -

I suspect you are going to get into the realm of IrDA with the Ir communication of a Palm Pilot. Presuming that to be the case, you may find this link invaluable:
    http://www.emesystems.com/BS2IrDA.htm

A MAX3100, a Stamp BS-2, a few parts, and help from that link and you should be good to go. Thanks go to Tracy Allen for the excellent application notes.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • anameaname Posts: 2
    edited 2005-02-28 21:06
    ·Thanks for the suggestions, both of you. After further reading of those links it seems many people have at one point been stuck on this problem. I'm still a student so I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off, but if I can I'll let you know.

- Joe
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-02-28 23:14
    Here's some info on using a Palm to control the Lego Mindstorms RCX www.harbaum.org/till/palm/pbrick/

The RCX has a fairly simple IR interface (2400 bps) based on a 38 KHz IR device.

The only bad news about the link above is it only works with older (Palm OS 3) based devices.