Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB to Serial — Parallax Forums

USB to Serial

CarloCarlo Posts: 23
edited 2005-02-27 00:59 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I am a first time parallax user and I am already having problems.

I got a BS2 educational board. My problem is that my laptop doesn't have a serial port but I have a USB to Serial cable. I tried it but the Stamp Editor doesn't seem to recognize the microcontroller through this cable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Carlo

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-02-26 16:35
    This is a somewhat common problem, some (most) of the usb to serial adapters don't fully emulate a serial port and won't work with the BS2 or the SX-Key. I tried a belkin adapter and it didn't work, I ended up returning it and get the one from parallax and it works.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out· the "SX-Video Display Module"

www.sxvm.com
    ·
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-02-26 16:56
    There are two known types of USB to serial adapters that will work with the BASIC Stamps and they the Keyspan model number 19HS and the FTDI USB to serial adapter that we sell.· Here is a link for the FTDI adapter:· http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=800-00030

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • CarloCarlo Posts: 23
    edited 2005-02-26 17:21
    Thanks for such a quick reply!

I was wondering if there is any distributor in the UK becuse the delivery of the FIDI adaptor is twice more expensive than the actual product.

Thanks

Carlo
  • SteveWSteveW Posts: 246
    edited 2005-02-26 17:37
    I don't think that FTDI sell direct any more -
    http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/USB-Serial.htm has the products you want,
    and says that UK customers should look at
    http://www.easysync.co.uk/usbrs232_single.html where the price is £20 for one with a short cable, slightly more for a longer one.

(FTDI are in the UK (Scotland) - the adaptor's travelled a fair distance by the time it comes back here [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Steve
    edited 2005-02-26 17:52
    I don't want to be scheptical but is it sure that any of these cables by FIDI will work with my BS2? I just don't want to spend more money for a cable I already have (which doesn't work!!)

Carlo
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-02-26 18:07
    We haven't had any problems using the FTDI USB to serial adapters.· We have a lot of·customers who use it with out any problems.· I believe most common problem is that some people forget to download the drivers which is a simple task.· Parallax has free·tech support available incase you have any problems.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
    edited 2005-02-26 18:10
    Thanks a lot for your help!! It has been very apreciated!

Carlo
  • Kenny GardnerKenny Gardner Posts: 169
    edited 2005-02-26 23:04
    Parallax used to sell the BAFO USB to Serial Adapter and they work very well.

You can buy them from Milford Instruments in the UK:

They show a Parallax part number but Parallax doesn't sell them anymore, so Milford may no longer sell them. Might want to E-Mail them and see what they have.

If they do carry the BAFO, you can get the latest BAFO Driver (BF-810) here:

There are also a lot of On-Line stores that sell them.

Kenny

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --

Kenny Gardner
    GAP Development Company
    http://www.gapdev.com/
    ·
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-02-27 00:59
    FTDI is currently the only approved, tested and guaranteed USB to Serial adapter to work with our products. There may be others, but we haven't approved them. The FTDI adapter supports the RS-232 break condition, something the Stamp editor needs to program Stamps.

Spend a little now and you'll be well on your way and never have to worry about this again.

Ken Gracey