Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chromatic Tuner Project — Parallax Forums

Chromatic Tuner Project

byoc76byoc76 Posts: 1
edited 2005-02-26 21:01 in BASIC Stamp
I'd like to make a chromatic tuner.· If anybody knows where I can get some ideas for the code/schematic I would be most appreciative.

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-26 14:14
    Go through the helpfile in Pbasic to get an idea about using the COUNT command, although others have used the PULSIN as well.

You basically want to know what the frequency of the 'string' is and then tell you what note it is closest to....

You might have to 'massage' your signal a bit to get it to a level that would trigger the stamp.· I think you need to have the wave transitioning across a 1.4V threshold (above 1.4V is considered a·logical 1 and below 1.4V is considered a logical 0).

You would probably have to do some averaging to be sure you're indicator wasn't going to flip-flop back and forth.·

If you've got the stamp and the instrument....then get started!·

Also, you might try doing a search on the forum for sound generation....or detection.· I know there have been some inquests in to connecting a mic to a stamp....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-02-26 16:02
    What's a chromatic tuner?
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Geordi: "It's like the laws of physics went right out the window!"
    Q: "And why shouldn't they, there so inconvinient!"

Geordi LaForge, Chief Engineer, USS Enterprise, NCC 1701-D
    Q, Omnipotent Prankster
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-02-26 16:33
    For tuning music instruments.
    I would like to make one too using the SX processor, maybe in my spare time. Ha Ha Ha as if I have any spare time.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out· the "SX-Video Display Module"

www.sxvm.com
    ·
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-26 17:12
    you can buy tuners that only indicate if a particular string (for guitars) is in tune.· So it has 3 LEDS; 1 for the right tune and 2 others indicating above or below the note.

Chromatic tuners typically have an LCD display that will tell you the note you're playing.
    There's some music theory as to what exactly it is...(an octave divided in to 12 steps)....but we don't need ot go there! lol

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2005-02-26 21:01
    Thanks, Steve!
    bugg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Geordi: "It's like the laws of physics went right out the window!"
    Q: "And why shouldn't they, there so inconvinient!"

Geordi LaForge, Chief Engineer, USS Enterprise, NCC 1701-D
    Q, Omnipotent Prankster