Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless Video — Parallax Forums

Wireless Video

MTHOMEMTHOME Posts: 5
edited 2005-02-25 19:07 in BASIC Stamp
I will try to explain this as best as I can.
·
I am wanting to take a video signal in and send it out over wireless.
I would then receive the wireless and send it out over a wired line.
·
I plan to use vga to Ethernet for the video source.
·
So to the question.
·
What is the best way to go about·receiving a signal from Ethernet then sending it out over wireless?
To be more specific what would be the best·equipment for this?
·
I am new to BASIC Stamps·but up for a challenge.
·
Thanks

Comments

• bishopbishop Posts: 82
    edited 2005-02-25 07:45
    actually there are a few webcams and webcam software that will allow you to set the camera up as a broadcast device on the web (locally or www).
    i believe X10 had something similar to this idea, back when i was renovating the home security system.
    essentially what you would be doing is setting up a web server on a local box and posting the streaming video via that stream.
    but there are packages out there that take care of that for you.
    good luck.
  • MTHOMEMTHOME Posts: 5
    edited 2005-02-25 13:54
    I have seen what you are talking about but this is not what I am talking about.

I am basically wanting to take an electrical signal in and send it out wirelessly.

One clarification I want to make is that I am sending vga over cat5 not Ethernet.

My question is can I receive a electrical signal in on a BASIC Stamp and then send it out wirelessly.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-25 13:59
    Well, you could 'measure' the signal and send it's digital value out over a wireless system.

Is this a video signal?· I don't think the stamp is fast enough on it's own to measure the signal with any time of resolution that it could be rebuilt on the other side.

The stamp would, using an Analog to digital converter, read the signals' digital value (scaled by you) and then would serial it out to a device that would read it in and transmit it wirelessly to a receive device....then what would you do with it?!· Use another stamp to read it, and a Digital to Analog converter to bring it out....but you'd probably have to amplify or do some signal massaging to get it to the levels you want it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
    edited 2005-02-25 15:39
    steve_b you are on the same line of thinking I am on.

I guess my question is can you run a loop on the stamp to get the value of the electrical signal and send that value over wireless to another stamp and have it send out that signal over a wire? I am looking at sending vga video signal this way.

Also if you could point me in the right direction as far as equipment I might use so that I can begin to research them that would help also.

Thanks again.
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2005-02-25 15:56
    MTHOME,
    If you're looking to have the video signal go through the stamp, then no. Video signal frequencies are in the Megahertz, and you need millions of samples per second to put together a quality video signal. The stamp, on the other hand, can only do a few thousand things a second. Faster hardware is needed to sample a video signal. The stamp can be used as a switch controller, but can't "process" video data. Video requires a VERY high sample rate. That's why only in the past few years digital and CD video recorders have become economical. If you wanted to record something 10 years ago, you had to do it analog-style onto a video tape.

Hope that helps,
    Dave
    edited 2005-02-25 16:27
    From what I am understanding is that a Stamp is not fast enough to handel a video signal, Correct?

With that being that case could someone point me in the direction of what I would need to do this as I know you can buy product like this but I am wanting to build one and hopefully cheaper. The one I have found online cost $1000 USD.

Thanks
    Mark
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-02-25 16:42
    Generally, as a hobbyist it is HARDER and MORE EXPENSIVE to build something that is already commercially available. People do stuff with the BS2 because it will do things which are NOT commercially available (like act as robotic controllers). They do stuff also because you learn a lot more than you can buying it off the shelf.

Having said that, I believe the X10 system does allow you to digitize video, and send it over a modem -- perhaps you can send it over an ethernet connection.

No, the BS2 is definitely not fast enough to handle a video signal. It could send TTL (or RS232) control signals to other equipment which then digitizes the signal.

As you say, other people are trying to build small boards which will do this. You need a high-speed (100BaseT) ethernet controller, a video digitizer board, and some way to connect your solution to the WWW -- perhaps a cable modem?
    edited 2005-02-25 17:04
    I think I am being missunderstood as far as what I am trying to achive.

1. Computer Video Card to Wireless Transmitter
    2. Transmit Signal to Wireless Reciever
    3. Wireless Reciever to computer monitor.

I will not be doing any kind of video "processing" so to say as I just want to send the the raw signal over wireless.
    look at this site to unerstand more.

http://grandtec.com/wirelessVGA.htm
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-02-25 18:00
    There are inexpensive systems on the market to transmit video over wirless ($100-$200) but you'll need a more expensive system to do true VGA (640x480) or higher resolutions. Google 'wireless video' or 'wireless VGA' for more info.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-02-25 19:07
    MHOME, the stamp is a control device....

It's not an active port device (not sure if that's the right term).

People have asked if you can send audio through the stamp....no, it's the same reason...the stamp can't directly ingest the signal.· But it can sample it and bring in the digital value.· But, like achilles said, you couldn't output it with much quality.

you can use the stamp to control a video switching matrix....you can use the stamp to control the transmitter that's sending the video signal....but the stamp itself will not ingest the video and send it out serially or otherwise.

And some of the cheap video transmitters out there require an RCA/composite input as opposed to a VGA input.· Now you need a VGA->Composite converter which is a few bucks again.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    "Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."