Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Drop in replacement for BS2 OEM EEPROM chip? — Parallax Forums

Drop in replacement for BS2 OEM EEPROM chip?

knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
edited 2005-02-24 21:25 in BASIC Stamp
I had a thought.

I'll want to be capable of progamming some OEM bs2 units at a remote location, but don't want to spend the money for a "stache" field programmer.

Can I use one BS2 OEM, program the program into it, then take out the EEPROM and pop it into another BS2 OEM? I would assume so, but wanted to check with board and make sure first. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

TIA,
David Bussanmas,
David@Bussanmas.com.

Comments

• knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-02-23 10:12
    I realize that I'll want to use a "zif" socket on my "programmer/burner" bs2 oem.

David.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-02-23 12:21
    Will work just fine.
    edited 2005-02-24 02:42
    I thought so.

So that means that the Basic Stamp's processor, (on the bs2 OEM) pic16c57c never is wrote/rewrote other than by Parallax?

I seem to recall something about the end c means it's non rewritable, is this correct?
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2005-02-24 10:09
    Don't know what the 'c' stands for, but yes, the PIC is never written to by us mortals(only by the people at Parallax)

The PIC contains the Basic Interpreter, and the EEPROM contains the translated tokens which the interpreter 'executes'.
    When downloading a program it is transferred to the PIC which writes it to EEPROM.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-02-24 16:14
    We (Parallax) are the only people with the code for the PBASIC interpreter. If you want to build your own BASIC Stamp, you must buy the pre-programmed PIC16C57 from us. If you buy one from another source it will not contain the interpreter and you will be forced to use assembly or a compiler to create your projects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas, TX· USA
    edited 2005-02-24 21:25
    Excellent. I thought as much, just wanted to confirm everything. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanx,
    David Bussanmas.