Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Speech recognition — Parallax Forums

Speech recognition

inakiinaki Posts: 262
edited 2005-07-31 22:19 in Robotics
Which is a good system for speech recognition in terms accuracy, speed, size, ease of use,·etc, ?
I have found many of them on the internet and several electronics magazines.
Too many to take an easy·decission.

Anyone has experience with any of these recognizers·who may want to comment on this subject·?

·

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-03-05 18:15
    You may find some at this link:· http://robots.net/robomenu/1025188599.html

There is a gentleman there who has one on his Boe-Bot and you maybe able to ask him what he used.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    www.parallax.com

·
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-05 19:08
    I know offhand two commercially availible systems both described in this page http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T051/0332.pdf·the one on the left is speaker dependent, the one on the right is speaker independent. Research the two terms if you don't understand what they mean. I have not used either so I don't know what the recognition rate for either is.
  • KenLemKenLem Posts: 94
    edited 2005-03-11 16:52
    I think the two options Paul linked above at the best on the market at this current time.

The Voice Direct II would be a good option is all you want to do is recognition of a few (15) words or phrases. The Voice Extreame Toolkit is much more advanced but has a bigger price tag.

Ken

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.speechchips.com

Speech & Video IC's
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-03-17 17:31
    Has anyone used either of these two devices (the voice extreme or the voice direct II)?

Ryan
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-03-17 18:58
    I just received a Voice Direct II from DigiKey (one of the two they had in stock), but I have not had a chance to play with it yet. One thing that concerns me is that of all of the dealers listed on the Sensory (producers of the Voice Direct) site, only one had any in stock and the rest either had very poor search engines, or they no longer carried the product.

I plan on using this on what I am calling my Anti-Monkeys. I have 3 BOE-Bots and am outfitting one with the Voice Direct, one with an EMIC, and one with a CMU-Cam...this should give me a fleet with tho opposite characteristics of "Hear no evil, Speak no evil, See no evil"...hence the "Anti-Monkeys" moniker...yeah, cheesy, but...

Eventually they will communicate with each other becoming a "distributed sensory colony being" or whatever...

Wish me luck...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-03-17 19:48
    Oh, wow, there was a computer game in the 80's called "Suspended" that had a separate robot for each sense. You could play that in real-time with real robots. Neat.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-03-17 20:34
    Just because something is nearing the obsolecence point in its life cycle, doesn't mean it lacks utility. I have found many occasions with extreme frustration something has been obsoleted and has no successor. I recently experienced this with my favorite SRAM from Cypress, they obsoleted it and there is no alternative that is equal or better in specs, from them or any other manufacturer. It makes what stock I do have a very precious commodity.

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 3/17/2005 8:39:02 PM GMT
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-03-17 21:08
    Paul,
    I agree wholeheartedly. I have lots of gear that was considered obsolete, but that I can find no adequate replacement for (either in price or functionality).

allanlane5,
    Wasn't that an Infocom game in which you were in a cryo tank or something? (yeah, I know...Google is my friend...I was just culling my memory a little) Imagine...a game in which you actually had to strategize and <gulp> think <g>.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2005-03-18 16:39
    I got the Voice Extreme from Sensory. Although it has the ability to perform voice-independent recognition it is very limited because you cannot define new words. It is too bad that they don't mention this limitation in the product brochure. Both, voice-independent and voice-dependent work very well, despite I am not a natural English speaker.

Voice Extreme comes with a toolkit to create programs that run on the training board. You can test voice-independent (only some words), perform new words training and test speech synthesis with ease. By the way the wav-to-synth utility works very well.

For those interested on Direct Voice II there was an interesting article on how to put one in a robot in the french magazine Electronique Pratique. (www.elecroniquepratique.com) January 2005.
  • merlinmerlin Posts: 40
    edited 2005-07-31 22:19
    I have doing a lot of work with Voice Recognition, thinking as a module from my next project, a moving robot
    I have found the Voice Direct 364 is very powerful device. I have trained it with some words and the device respond very accurate to voice recognition.
    The only problem I have found is that this device uses 8 lines to send serial stat to BS2. I have solved the issue with a 74HC165 as described in exercise 24 Stamps at Work, so I have ended with all the info needed in only·three ·I/O ports of BS2. Actually I'm using the Continuos Listening Mode in Single Word CL Config in Voice Direct with great results, connected to my NX-1000 board.
    I'm planning to use the info sent from Voice Recognition to trigger some actions in the robot, like moving foward, moving backwards and so.
    The robot will include also a Compass module, so I'm planning to match some voice instructions with the information collected from Compass.
    Any comments and suggestions will be appreciatted.
    Regards

daniel

You can find my projects in

http://usuarios.vtr.net/~darnoff/Paginas/Robots/Robots.html

(Web pages in spanish)

·